I am new at this, but still hoping they are all girls.

All 3 probably girls?

• All three probably pullets

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Greta, Easter Egger probably a cockerel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goldie, the Rhode Island Red probably a cockerel

• Theda, the Barred Rock Probably a cockerel

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Greta probably the only pullet

• Goldie probably the only pullet

• Theda probably the only pullet

• Total voters

Carol McLaine

Chirping
Sep 25, 2017
DSC_0392.JPG
DSC_0406.JPG
DSC_0420.JPG
DSC_0420.JPG
View attachment 1156505

They were less than a week old when I got them, but I did not get specifics on how many days old, and that was 2 weeks and 2 days ago. So, probably 3 weeks at the most.

I'm saying that Theda is a cockerel for now because the tail feather growth and overall growth seems not as grown compared to the others. Now to wait and see. Contrary to popular belief, I think you can tell a chick's sex at a a week old based on feather growth in pretty much every breed except probably silkies (I'll admit, I've only dealt with leghorns, EE, brahma, rock, orpington, cochins, and maran). Here's a helpful link with cochins, which is what I have. https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=26745.0

Last edited:
I'm saying that Theda is a cockerel for now because the tail feather growth and overall growth seems not as grown compared to the others. Now to wait and see. Contrary to popular belief, I think you can tell a chick's sex at a a week old based on feather growth in pretty much every breed except probably silkies (I'll admit, I've only dealt with leghorns, EE, brahma, rock, orpington, cochins, and maran). Here's a helpful link with cochins, which is what I have. https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=26745.0
Thank You!

Much to young still. 6-8 weeks is about the youngest they can be sexed with any accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom