I am now a true Texan--aka wierd foods

I was born and raised in good ole Missouri. I grew up on Mountain oysters. When my DH and I were dating, he brought me some that his DM had cooked. Told me it was tenderloin. I took a big ole bite and then he told me what they were. Floored him that I didn't blink an eye!! My DH is Italian and they eat tripe. Cooked just right, it's great! That was probably the weirdest thing I had eaten until I started working with some great Mexican cooks. They introduced me to taco tripas. Tripas in Mexico is not the tripe(cow stomach) I was use too. Tripe in Mexico is the actual intestine. Fry it up, some cilantro and onion....OMG..the best tacos I have ever eaten! Makes me want to drive to downtown KC and get some!

Quote:
There shouldn't be any testosterone in calf-fries. Though part of the conversion of testosterone occurs in the testis, by definition, calf fries come from pre-pubescent male cows.

Last edited:
Quote:
I love both traditional tripe and tripas tacos. I actually have some tripas in the fridge right now (DH is Latino).

Back
Top Bottom