I am proud of me!!!! ME 1 - predator 0

We don't set it all the time because we have a few of the chooks that free range on their own schedule, they fly over the dog pen and have a day of it and fly back in to roost...if I leave the trap set, we catch chickens! LOL

If you can't reach your gun, try putting a heavy bucket or washtub over the critter, hold it down & holler for help! Especially with the opossums, they don't run very fast.

Where I live raccoons, and probably opossums too, have proliferated because of development. Though their predators have lost habitat, these animals have gained more safety, shelter & food because of human habitation. Like your MIL's outdoor cat food dishes. So I don't feel bad about doing my part to keep the population down.

Quote:
Me too, and I get mad when they eat up the smelly cat food in there for bait. But the kids think it's funny to see the chickens in there. "Mom, we've caught a wild animal, come see!" So usually in the morning I close the traps, and re-set them at night.
Happy hunting!
bun.gif

That is what we try to do too but we had not seen any activity for quite some time and had quit setting it.... I had just told DH that we needed to start setting it since it was getting colder and the varmints would be running amuck!

Honestly, that is how we caught our newest escapee chicken...I bought one at a sale and had her quarrantined and when I went to feed her she flew the coop!
lol.png
Took us a week of feeding her on the sidewalk and moving the feed closer and closer to the trap and finally one day there she was. She stays with all the others now and gives us an egg a day for her gratefulness!

Quote:
It's pretty normal for a possum to not run. Sometimes they run off, but they often just hold still as a defense mechanism. They also secrete an odor when scared that mimics the smell of decay to make their adversaries think they are dead.

Last week I caught a big 'ol possum. That was the only possum I've ever seen that wasn't squished on the road. Yuck, that thing was over two feet long and that wasn't including the tail!!! Gross!!!!
sickbyc.gif
And this morning I caught that stupid stray cat AGAIN!!!!
barnie.gif
I don't think he'll be coming around here for a while because my dog was with me and she chased that stupid stray.

we used to have a whole familly of possums before we had chickens but our old dog ATE them and they never came back lol thats one thing that mean dog was good for
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom