i am really interested in the araucana

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by queenhoneeybee, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenhoneeybee

queenhoneeybee Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    and i don't know what questions to ask when purchasing from a breeder. i am quite new to this and wonder if incubating chicks is something that i can do. should i start out on other kinds of chickens before the araucana? i just don't know what to ask... or what to do... [​IMG]

2. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I just hatched sixteen out of twenty four shipped araucana eggs. One was infertile, three quit, 20 went into lockdown and four failed to hatch, one had even pipped the air cell and given up. So pretty impressive hatch for a starter with shipped eggs! One was a bit hit and miss ok, he was very bloody when he came out, and I left him in the incubator for about six hours, the longest of all. The others all came out within about ten hours of each other, and as there was limited space, were coming out of the bator after only 30 mins to 2 hours, and I tell you they are BOMBPROOF! Hardy happy chicks, eating and drinking (and pooping) like troopers. Really hard to candle due to the thick shells, but once you get the hang of it, easy enough.

Beautiful birds, too.

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by