I AM SICK OF MY NEIGHBORS DOGS

Julie,
What a mess! Are you looking over your shoulder for these dogs every time you go outside? It's pretty rude of the neighbors to continue to let the dogs run free.
Do your other neighbors have problems with the dogs? If so, ask them to call the police, also. Enough complaints will generally generate some action.
smile.png

You may also want to try something nasty in a spray bottle. Ammonia, vinegar, hot sauce. You may want to water some of this down, so it doesn't hurt the dogs' eyes. *however* there needs to be some type of unpleasant consequence for the dogs to come near the coop.

And I agree with leashing them and taking them to the pound. If the neighbors have to go pick them up each time you take them there, it will get old pretty quick.

Good luck! And let us know how things work out.
You know, I actually hope that your little roo is feeling too miserable to greet your husband tonight. Perhaps dh will see this is a little more serious than he thought.

Carla

I would inform the neighbors about the injury caused by their dog and take the bird to a vet to be x-rayed at their expense. If the dog starts costing them money, maybe they will make more of an effort to keep it home. I would also make a report to the police or sheriff's department. Then you have a record. Even if they do no enforcement, you can insist that a report be written. If the jerk neighbors won't pay the bill, take them to small claims over it.

Always keep a rope handy near the coop. The next time the dog comes in the yard catch it and tie it up. Photograph it and make another complaint to the authorities. If at all possible, don't release it to the neighbors until an officer is present. I have found that the Sheriff's department is much more effective than animal control in these matters. If that doesn't work, SSS. The problem with SSS is that the idiots always get another dog.

I always call the Sheriff. The last time was when 2 dogs gutted my beloved pet turkey. She was still alive. My daughter and I were crying. The neighbors were crying. We asked the deputy to put the bird out of her misery, and he did. Then he was crying. He was so upset he made the owner transport the dogs to town for impound (they had no vaccinations), and then arrested him and took him into custody. That's the kind of officer I like!!

this is why I love this site - thank you all for taking time to help me with my little guy. i have been out there sitting in the run with them - you have to work hard to get Clyde - so I sit in there and get him to stop wondering what I am doing and relax so I can get him off guard - he is such a pain

I was able to bring him in the house where it is quiet and the wind is not blowing everything in my face.

I was able to open his wing and take a look under - the joint is still swollen not very huge but it does look bigger than the other wing- it is slightly pink, not really red like blood under the skin just pink.
His heart rate was nice and mellow - until I started to mess with his wing than it kinda got a little faster.

I let him walk around the livingroom - where I could watch him walk without the wind blowing him - he is still favoring that side - there are no cuts or injuries to his legs that I can see.

DH has called to see how my day is going - and I told him what happened - so tonight we are going to lay an outline for a fence running across the front yard where the dogs will not be able to get to the front door or near the gate going into the chicken yard.

DH always complains about Clyde attacking his feet but when he heard about what happen he is very worried about him now - I guess he loves the little guy more than he wants to admit. He is also going to the neighbors AGAIN and talk to them about the dogs- these are the same neighbors that have the " there just chickens " attitude - they also see nothing wrong with fighting roosters either - so this is not going to be a good night with them.

I have called my landlord ( who is also there landlord ) he will have words with them tonight also. Dont know how much good that will do.

how much asprin do I give Clyde ? I dont know how much he weighs - he is just a little guy ?

Julie

Julie - are you keeping him in tonight? That might be best so you can keep on eye on him. A few posts back said 5 aspirins crushed in a gal of water, I thought that was alot, but your bird will only drink what he needs. It will help with the pain. Good luck with everything. Grrrr some people.

well I dont know about keeping him in tonight - I do have a large dog crate that he could camp in, but when he was in the house he could hear his girls and he was not happy about not being with them - he is such a great flock rooster, the weather has been getting real warm - today it is in the upper 60's so I know the nights are not to cold for them. he is back out with his lady's but I will keep an eye on him and make the decision the closer to bed time it gets.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I hope your Roo is OK.
sad.png
It sounds like you don't want to SSS, so I will suggest a pellet/BB gun at the minimum. We just picked one up for that reason - deterring loose dogs. Based on our target practice on aluminum cans, I don't think it would take many shots to make a dog run away...

I live near Farmington and they are VERY lax about loose dogs in that part of NM. I can understand that you might not have any help from law enforcement.

Hopefully you can get that fence built fast. Would it be possible to put a hot electric wire on your run sooner than later? A big jolt might also set the dogs back.

Cheers,
Michelle

Quote:
Julie, the above should work in answer to your question re: how much aspirin. Since he's small he'll drink less than a larger bird and so his dose will work out to be smaller than their dose.

JJ

Farminton - hi neighbor lol how far is that from Clovis ?

hot wire is something we were looking into because of our own dogs - so I guess we will be running a second unit for the chickens - just never thought I would need one for them.

At this point SSS sounds like a good idea - but I dont know if I could it - maybe leave some antifreeze out tonight LOL ( only kidding please dont yell at me
wink.png
)

Clyde is doing beter I think he will be fine - just scared the crap out of me - and him - he is still favoring that wing and I guess he will be sore for a few days - he is alot tougher than I thought.

we will be making a run to TS tonight and I will get a wrap for his wing to help him sleep tonight without moving it around to much - DH has the car so I am kinda stuck here at the house right now. I will also look for anything I can use to spray in the mouth/face of these dogs that will give them a nasty reminder to stay away from the flock.

Do hens normally protect the roo? I have noticed that since Clyde got hurt the hens are staying closer to him- normlly they dont pay him much attetion unless he calls to them or tells them when it is bedtime.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom