I AM SICK OF MY NEIGHBORS DOGS

OMG - those dogs really sound like a pain in the butt. If the same thing happens to me, There would probably be dead, bloody dog carcasses lying around(just kidding). I think you really should convince your neighbors. Show them Clyde's(poor chicken - hope he gets well soon) broken wing and tell them that if their dogs attack your flock again, you would hurt them. Sorry about your chickens.....

yes you are right these are the same people who were raided - they found drugs - we thought the dogs had been removed also but a few days later - the dogs are back - all 3 of them.

I made a temp. hoop style run it has no coop just a nice area for him to walk around he is in there with his best girl Bonnie - the hoop is in the main run so he can still see the other girls and he has plenty of water and feed and shade ( going to be 75 today ).
for the most part he looks great - he tried to open the wing and flap them like he does every morning ( like his morning exercise ) he is crowing his little head off - I think he is telling everyone " Yea I am still here - DEAL WITH IT "

I am an animal lover - so the thought of killing the dogs is something I cant bring myself to do, but I can cause them alittle pain from a BB gun or pepper spray.

I know living here is going to be a challange - because of these people but the only things I can do are :

1 - get rid of all my chickens and ducks - NOT GOING TO HAPPEN -
2- move somewhere else - ALSO NO - I like my house and the animals are all settled here.

thank you for the police side of things - that does help alot - god knows I dont want to go to court because of them dogs.

i will do what ever is needed to keep my flock safe - these are not meat birds, they are family members - most with names and they were raised by me from day old babies - there is no way I am going to let some dog make a meal out of them.

yesterday I found bird netting at TS - and this weekend we are going to get a few things of it to go around the top of the fence to make it harder for Clyde to fly out - also adding more chicken wire to the bottom half of the run they are in now. we have the outline of the new fence roughly in place so when we get the T poles we know where they are going and how many needed.

the hot wire is going to be 60.00 for the main unit and than we need to get the wires and the clamps so that might be a little pricey right now

thank you all for the great advice and all the get well wishes for Clyde - I am so glad I found this site - you all are great
love.gif

Julie

Quote:
Just a couple of suggestions- although you've got a lot already. I'm a cop in Michigan. Not sure about the laws in your area, but I would keep calling. Neither animal control nor police can't just "ignore" your calls, but if the dogs aren't around when they get there, there's not much they can do. A good idea is when the dogs are in your yard, catch them and pen them up. THEN call. When you say you have them captured, they'll show up a lot quicker- most of the time, when I get a "dog at large" complaint, the dogs are gone by the time I get there if the callers don't catch them. If that happens a couple of times, officers will get sick of coming and start writing tickets to the dogs owners.

I definitely wouldn't kill or injure the dogs- sure you might be justified, but do you really want to go to court and prove it, then possibly get sued or charged with Malicious Destruction of Property? Not worth it. Instead, get some pepper spray or a BB gun. I use one of the old Daisy Red Riders. Not powerful enough to break the skin, but hurts A LOT. A shot from it or pepper spray, and the dogs will head-for-z-hills. Dogs learn quickly from pain, so be consistant and hit them with all you've got EVERY TIME they come in your yard, not just when they cause problems. Anything you do that would actually injure the dogs could cause problems for you- again, I'm not saying you'd be wrong in doing so, just that you could have problems that you don't need. Hope that helps.

It helps to know exactly what the laws in your state or area are. I always suggest destroying problem animals because it is perfectly legal in my state probably because so many people's livelihoods are wrapped up in their livestock. Here is the law for citizens of Idaho:

Idaho

Liability for livestock and poultry killed by dogs

Statute Details
Printable Version
Citation: ID ST § 25-2806

Citation: I.C. § 25-2806

Summary: This Idaho statute provides that any owner whose dog that kills, worries, or wounds any livestock and poultry is liable to the owner of the same for the damages and costs of suit, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction. Further, any person, on finding any dog, not on the premises of its owner or possessor, worrying, wounding, or killing any livestock or poultry may, at the time of so finding said dog, kill the same, without liability for damages.

Statute in Full:

The owner, possessor, or harborer of any dog or animal that kills, worries, or wounds any livestock and poultry which are raised and kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes, is liable to the owner of the same for the damages and costs of suit, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction:

1. In the prosecution of actions under the provisions of this section it is not necessary for the plaintiff to show that the owner, possessor, or harborer of such dog or other animal had knowledge of the fact that such dog or other animal would kill or wound livestock or poultry which are raised and kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes.

2. Any person, on finding any dog, not on the premises of its owner or possessor, worrying, wounding, or killing any livestock or poultry which are raised and kept in captivity for domestic or commercial purposes, may, at the time of so finding said dog, kill the same, and the owners thereof can sustain no action for damages against any person so killing such dog.

Buster thanks so much for posting that. I live in Idaho and I have had a pitbull bite my son!! I called the cops and I got a jerk who said he would arrest me if I shot the dog, This was after he came in my yard and bit my 13 son, I told the cop if he attacked my kids or animals I would have no problem shooting the dog!! I do not want to hurt the dog but my kids and animals come first. I later found out that cop has 3 pitbulls. We live in a small town so thing run like wildfire here. Everybody knows what happenes here.

Quote:
Just for your information Ericas! Here is the Idaho code for dogs at large. The cop was very wrong about how he handled the situation:
Idaho

Dogs running at large -- Vicious dogs -- Penalty

Statute Details
Printable Version
Citation: ID ST § 25-2805

Citation: I.C. § 25-2805

Summary: This Idaho statute provides that any person who lets his or her dog run at large after a complaint has been made to the sheriff shall be guilty of an infraction punishable as provided in section 18-113A, Idaho Code. Any person who lets his or her dog physically attack someone when not provoked shall be guilty of a misdemeanor in addition to any liability as provided in section 25-2806, Idaho Code. For a second or subsequent violation of this subsection, the court may, in the interest of public safety, order the owner to have the vicious dog destroyed or may direct the appropriate authorities to destroy the dog.

Statute in Full:

(1) Any person, who, after complaint has been made by any person to the sheriff, who shall serve a copy of said notice upon such person complained of, willfully or negligently permits any dog owned or possessed or harbored by him to be, or run, at large without a competent and responsible attendant or master, within the limits of any city, town, or village or in the vicinity of any farm, pasture, ranch, dwelling house, or cultivated lands of another, or who willfully or negligently fails, neglects or refuses to keep any such dog securely confined within the limits of his own premises when not under the immediate care and control of a competent and responsible attendant or master, shall be guilty of an infraction punishable as provided in section 18-113A, Idaho Code.

(2) Any dog which, when not physically provoked, physically attacks, wounds, bites or otherwise injures any person who is not trespassing, is vicious. It shall be unlawful for the owner or for the owner of premises on which a vicious dog is present to harbor a vicious dog outside a secure enclosure. A secure enclosure is one from which the animal cannot escape and for which exit and entry is controlled by the owner of the premises or owner of the animal. Any vicious dog removed from the secure enclosure must be restrained by a chain sufficient to control the vicious dog. Persons guilty of a violation of this subsection, and in addition to any liability as provided in section 25-2806, Idaho Code, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. For a second or subsequent violation of this subsection, the court may, in the interest of public safety, order the owner to have the vicious dog destroyed or may direct the appropriate authorities to destroy the dog.

Last edited:
Hi Julie,

If you have a Freecycle or Craigs list for your area, you might post that you are looking for an electric fence unit. I can post on the list up here for a free one if you want me to & then I can mail it if one turns up. I might have some old yellow string type wire to send as well - I'd have to look.

Cheers,
Michelle

I keep a copies of the Nebraska "dog at large" and "viscious animal" laws in a drawer at home. That way I can quote them to neighbors with loose dogs and to officers. There are so many laws on the books that it is impossible for every officer to know all of them. If you don't want to arm yourself with a gun, arm yourself with knowledge. And even though you don't think there is a leash law in your area, I'll bet there are state stautes and county regulations that prohibit dogs running at large. You just have to find them.

Last edited:
New Mexico dog laws:

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusnmst77_1_1_19.htm

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusnmst77_1_1_19.htm#s2

The law clearly states:

"77-1-2. Dog killing or injuring livestock; damages; dog to be killed
If any dog shall kill or injure any livestock, the owner or keeper of such dog shall be liable for all damages that may be sustained thereby, to be recovered by the party so injured before any court having competent jurisdiction, and it shall be unlawful to keep such dog after it is known that the dog is liable to kill livestock, and it shall be the duty of the owner to kill, or have killed, the dog upon order of the court after a finding that the dog has killed or injured livestock, and provided further, that it shall be the right of any owner of livestock so killed or injured by the actions of any dog to kill the dog while it is upon property controlled by the owner of the livestock."

L. 1901, Ch. 105, § 2; L. 1957, Ch. 131, § 1.

And if the authorities don't want to impound the dog quote them this:

§ 77-1-12. Local control by ordinance; dogs and cats running at large

Each municipality and each county shall make provision by ordinance for the seizure and disposition of dogs and cats running at large and not kept or claimed by any person on their premises.

Back
Top Bottom