I AM SICK OF MY NEIGHBORS DOGS

If you have to fence, it might be simplest to get a roll of cattle fencing and string it along sharpened poles- goes up fast and will keep out dogs, unless they jump.

My heart goes out to you- where I live a homesteader has the right to shoot any dog chasing stock of any kind. Our animal control isn't much use, and farmers DO take matters into their own hands. I like dogs too- I'd suggest that you catch them and tie them then call the owners. Record each action you have taken with the animals and caution the owners that you are ready to proceed- to the point of taking the dogs to a shelter yourself. I think you have more municipal rights than you know, if you are prepared to act. Is there a local councillor you can contact if necessary?

That's a terrible situation and I hope you get relief!

Last edited:
we have actually had a nice talk with the neighbors and told them what the youngest of three dogs has been doing and that we are going to have to put up a fence to help protect our chickens - and if needed we will be putting up a hotwire and if they dont want the dogs getting the crud shocked out of them to keep them in thier own yards.

they have been doing everything they can to keep the three dogs locked up - and have also been regulars buying eggs every weekend !!!

so hopefully thing will get better - we are still putting up the fence
wink.png

Julie

well they have been great about keeping the two adults pitts in the yard - but the pup still comes over - but now instead of messing with the chickens he sits on my porch waiting for dog treats LOL these are no bad dogs they just have way to much energy to be let loose on the nieghborhood to get into all kinds of trouble - and the neighbors have been trying to keep a better eye on them - since I told them that the young pup got a hold of the rooster. They have even started throwing scrapes out to the chickens - yesterday they had some salad fixings left over and toss them over the fence to the flock ( which my flock guickly torn up ) so I think things will be alot calmer around here.

we are still building a fence around the front - to portect my flower beds and also give the chickens a bigger yard to roam when I am home. We also know that dogs will be dogs and we are still keeping a close eye on the dogs - just in case -

Julie

I'm glad to hear little Clyde is doing better. Recently our own puppy got hold of our little Sunny Boy and plucked him clean. Sunny Boy was nearly dead when SO found him. I'm hav=ppy to say that Sunny Boy has recovered and his feathers are growing back prettier than ever.
As for the pup, we found the weak spot in the chicken yard fence and reinforced it. We took the pup to "Better Manners" classes, where we learned how to retrain ourselves and therefor our dog.
The instructor advised us to keep a small spray bottle filled with water on our belt as well as a pouch of little treats (we use catfood). When the dog demonstates behavior we like, she gets a treat and praise. When she does something we don't like, we say "Spike, NO" and snap her leash. If she doesn't stop, she gets a squirt directed at the nose and another"NO". It works like a charm.
She no longer tries to go after the chickens in their chicken yard. We haven't tested her, when the chickens free range. We rather just lock the pup in her kennel to be on the safe side. We do plan on training her to totally ignore the chickens, but haven't taken the time to do so. We also have a muzzle that we plan on using while training, just in case.
The instuctor also told us, that if plain water doesn't work, to add a bit of vinegar to the water. She said this does not injure their eyes, but they sure don't like it.
This should work for those of you, whose neighborhood dogs are generally friendly, but you just don't want them around. It doesn't take much time to retrain the dog, just consistency.

Back
Top Bottom