I am so annoyed!!!!

vernandang

Chirping
Apr 28, 2022
We decided to add to our flock, so I got six black sexlinks and two olive eggers. I was happy!!!!

Then the smaller OE died and lady said she would replace her, I would have purchased another but she offered, I agreed, then she ghosted me. I waited a week and started looking for other green layers because I want the chicks all at one time! I posted on FB asking for green LAYERS. Several people offered straight run but I can't have roos.

So this lady said she had some, told me they would be green layers, she had crossed a cream legbar and orpington and would lay mint green eggs.

In the two hour conversation we had I told her I couldn't have roos. I told her about rehoming a roo because I can't have one.

We get there, pay her, leaving with the chicks, she makes a statement and I thought she was talking about chicks she was showing us but hubby wasn't so sure.

I get home, message her and she tells me that they could all be roos, they were too young to sex and she can't take them back. I said well if they are roos I'll have to re-home and be out the $30, lesson learned. Well this offended her.

I posted looking for GREEN LAYERS. My husband said I should have asked er for sure.... really? The whole post was about LAYERS!

If they are roosters, then I can't add any more I can't afford to keep buying chicks. I am so annoyed right now

That happened to be once, wanted brahmas and Orpingtons for EGGS and the lady gave us all roos saying they were like 70% sure they were pullets.
We still kept em tho when we sold some other roos.

There's a bit of a language issue here, in that you think "Layers" means exclusively hens, and technically it very well may. And that would even be logical.

But in common usage (which is not always logical), especially when discussing egg color, people refer to the breed / mix according to the genes for what they lay, which the roo carries as well.
Many times I have seen listings say something like "they lay xyz eggs" even though they are straight run.

By default, chicks purchased from small scale breeders will not be sexed. It's a difficult art and the hatcheries pay large sums + fly experts in regularly to do it.
If the mix is a sex link cross, that's one way to get certain pullets. The other is waiting long enough to see combs & other traits.

So, the term you were looking for was "sexed pullets" or "POL pullets" (point of lay).
In the end what you were asking for was impractical. At the same time, the seller should be clear up front, and it sounds like they made mistakes in that regard.
Sometimes people even act badly to get rid of cockerels as soon as they notice some traits or even just have a feeling. That's happened to me and it's frustrating. When you buy 9 and get 7 cockerels it's not fun at all. But try not to leap to conclusions or make accusations if you can help it because mistakes happen too. Even the hatcheries send cockerels in boxes of sexed pullets.

We decided to add to our flock, so I got six black sexlinks and two olive eggers. I was happy!!!!

Then the smaller OE died and lady said she would replace her, I would have purchased another but she offered, I agreed, then she ghosted me. I waited a week and started looking for other green layers because I want the chicks all at one time! I posted on FB asking for green LAYERS. Several people offered straight run but I can't have roos.

So this lady said she had some, told me they would be green layers, she had crossed a cream legbar and orpington and would lay mint green eggs.

In the two hour conversation we had I told her I couldn't have roos. I told her about rehoming a roo because I can't have one.

We get there, pay her, leaving with the chicks, she makes a statement and I thought she was talking about chicks she was showing us but hubby wasn't so sure.

I get home, message her and she tells me that they could all be roos, they were too young to sex and she can't take them back. I said well if they are roos I'll have to re-home and be out the $30, lesson learned. Well this offended her.

I posted looking for GREEN LAYERS. My husband said I should have asked er for sure.... really? The whole post was about LAYERS!

If they are roosters, then I can't add any more I can't afford to keep buying chicks. I am so annoyed right now
Oh that stinks I’m so sorry that’s a tough spot

There's a bit of a language issue here, in that you think "Layers" means exclusively hens, and technically it very well may. And that would even be logical.

But in common usage (which is not always logical), especially when discussing egg color, people refer to the breed / mix according to the genes for what they lay, which the roo carries as well.
Many times I have seen listings say something like "they lay xyz eggs" even though they are straight run.

By default, chicks purchased from small scale breeders will not be sexed. It's a difficult art and the hatcheries pay large sums + fly experts in regularly to do it.
If the mix is a sex link cross, that's one way to get certain pullets. The other is waiting long enough to see combs & other traits.

So, the term you were looking for was "sexed pullets" or "POL pullets" (point of lay).
In the end what you were asking for was impractical. At the same time, the seller should be clear up front, and it sounds like they made mistakes in that regard.
Sometimes people even act badly to get rid of cockerels as soon as they notice some traits or even just have a feeling. That's happened to me and it's frustrating. When you buy 9 and get 7 cockerels it's not fun at all. But try not to leap to conclusions or make accusations if you can help it because mistakes happen too. Even the hatcheries send cockerels in boxes of sexed pullets.
My husband said next time actually say sexed chickens. I haven't had THIS issue with small sellers before. Like I said live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom