I am so done with Christmas...

Glad to make you giggle, you can never giggle or laugh too much!!
big_smile.png

Most of my family lives near me, and we just have a family dinner once in a while and I LOVE IT! We don't celebrate and any gift we give to each other is because we want to at any time of the year and not at a certain time because we "have to". In fact next weekend, we are having my aunt that lives 5 hours away come and we are going to have some turkey and barley soup, some salad and some desserts. So simple, so easy! :)

True confession: part of the reason why I moved where I live now is because I knew my mother wouldn't make the drive out here (about 15 miles...lol...) That plus Caller ID are lifesavers. You know, I really feel bad about these rants I've been posting, because my mom has done some things for me that would make your jaw drop to the floor...but it's the day to day nastiness that I just can't get past. Believe it or not, my chickens have brought so much joy to my life. Thanks to them, there is always a bright spot in my day!
Sometimes you have to make a clean break for it and not allow past things to get in the way of that. Just because parents do some things for children...which as parents, many of those things can be things they have to do as parents...does not mean that said children have to continue to feed into a cycle of dysfunction when they become adults. I'm pretty good at cutting them off at the knees when they try the guilt trips, nagging and whatever such, and telling them that I don't *have* to do anything. I've made a life completely separate of my family and am quite glad that I have. There are always other "family" that one can find happiness with...spouses, co-workers, friends, and pets that can fill that need without drama, backstabbing, conspiracies, lying, etc.

In short, I guess what I am trying to say here is that is is completely possible to love someone, care about them, but yet not like them and keep them out of your day to day orbit in order to lead the life you want to live instead of the one they would foist upon you. It comes down to whether you want to lead your life as someone else wants you to, or how you want to. Christmas unfortunately seems to be a hot button for these sorts of struggles, and other holidays too.

Sometimes you have to make a clean break for it and not allow past things to get in the way of that. Just because parents do some things for children...which as parents, many of those things can be things they have to do as parents...does not mean that said children have to continue to feed into a cycle of dysfunction when they become adults. I'm pretty good at cutting them off at the knees when they try the guilt trips, nagging and whatever such, and telling them that I don't *have* to do anything. I've made a life completely separate of my family and am quite glad that I have. There are always other "family" that one can find happiness with...spouses, co-workers, friends, and pets that can fill that need without drama, backstabbing, conspiracies, lying, etc.

In short, I guess what I am trying to say here is that is is completely possible to love someone, care about them, but yet not like them and keep them out of your day to day orbit in order to lead the life you want to live instead of the one they would foist upon you. It comes down to whether you want to lead your life as someone else wants you to, or how you want to. Christmas unfortunately seems to be a hot button for these sorts of struggles, and other holidays too.
Well said, duckluck. And I can always hope that one of these days my mom will get over whatever it is that feeds her nastiness and start enjoying life again.

hugs.gif
For you all.

My family is not on the great or even good list.
We decided 8 years ago that Christmas was rather over commercialized and we were not going to participate in that part of it anymore.
The last 8 years we have stayed home and enjoyed a quiet day with just the people that live in this house.
It is not always understood by the extended family, but I guess we expected that.
We have spent time remembering what Christmas is supposed to be about and appreciating what we have in life.
With my family it is better for us just to stay away from them.

Back
Top Bottom