I am so happy to be here! Good Morning everyone!

kiceblue38

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? We have had chickens for about a year now. and have grown our flock to 20 adults- different species from Polish, New Hampshire Red, Americauna, Buff Orpington, and a silkie rooster. We have 16 2-month old silkies and 6 3-week old chicks

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? refer to above

(3) What breeds do you have? refer to above

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? First found the website when shopping for info on coops and supplies.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? We bought a yearling pair of peacocks the end of Janruary and two ducklings in the middle of March.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We have 4 1/2 acres to share with our beloved animals which includes cats in addition to all the birds. Al loves to restore tractors and any other interesting antiques he finds. I love to garden and spend time with my son who is 17 and finishing up his Junior year in high school. We live in the Sioux Falls, SD area.

Quite a collection of animals! Welcome to BYC!
yippiechickie.gif

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Growing up in the 50s/60s we had about 100 leghorn layers and occasionally a batch of meat birds as well as pheasant. In 2009 I bought 10 pullets - Barred Rocks, Blk Jersey Giants and Buff Orpingtons. Within 4 months I had almost 100 birds - 21 different breeds. I no longer have Polish, Cochins or Buttercups.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? refer to above I now have 40 adults and chicks hatching under a friend's turkeys as we speak.

(3) What breeds do you have? I breed Black Penedesencas but I currently also have most of those in my signature. I'm eliminating most of the breeds that are more prone to predation.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Just a google search, probably about breeds.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Canoeing, skiing and travel. I used to volunteer on community projects in Latin America and was planning to make some volunteer trips to Europe when I started in chickens this time. I went to Costa Rica early in '09 to do maintenance and bird care at a Macaw breeding facility.
Currently, chickens have put a damper on my plans to move there.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We're in the St. Louis, MO burbs with bees, a large garden, my wife, son and daughter. My daughter is currently in Europe traveling for a couple months. My son recently returned from Cambodia and Thailand.

Welcome to BYC from BC!!

We are new to chickens. Have only owned our girls for a couple of months now. We have 2 brahamas (one hatched last night), 2 easter eggers, 2 wyandottes (blr and gl) a leghorn, silver spangled hamburg, a polish, a RIR, and a buff orpington.

my husband and I have two boys, 2.5 yrs and 9 months old. A cat Cleo. As for hobbies..... I guess right now, that be chickens, until we get used to them and have a little more time.

I forgot to mention my two rabbits! I have an American Fuzzy Mini Lop and a black Lion Head.

Back
Top Bottom