I am so Proud!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shakecc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    I have 7 hens (25 weeks old) and one of them finally started to lay a couple of weeks ago. I opened the nesting boxes and placed the golf balls in them, but they hen kept laying on the floor. Well today when I went out I noticed that one of the golf balls was on the floor and the nesting boxes had 3 EGGS![​IMG] Must be more than one laying now and I am so proud they figured out to use the boxes! Thank you to BYC for the great advice!

One problems though...I just noticed that I have a lice problem Friday. Today I bought some vegtable/poultry dust at Tractor Supply. The active ingrediant is Permethrin. I am worried about eating the eggs after treating the hens and coop for the lice. Does anyone know how long we should avoid the eggs?

It sucks now that we are finally getting the much anticipated eggs that we have to worry about the lice treatment!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Eggs will be fine. You're not going to feed the powder to the chickens, just dust them with it. Just wash them off and call it good.

Congrats on the nest box use!

3. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    Congratulations on the eggs!! [​IMG] Our 23 week old brown leghorns finally started laying about 4 days ago. It is an exciting event after such a long wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by