I AM SO UPSET!!!

melissaowens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
andalusia alabama
for the past three days i have woke up went to feed the chickens, and chicks and i find a dead teenager chick, well i woke up this morning and three dead. they were fine, they were up running around and everything and then they just kill over dead. i have been watching all of them closely and none are showing signs of sickness.
does anyone know what could be going on?

Last edited:
What breeds ? Change in feed? How hot is it where you are ? Do they have shade and cool water? Heta is a huge factor right now .. My girls have been roasting up here and its only in the 80's

no change if feed, they have shade and i keep them cool clean water, it has actually been raining here for a couple days now. i am not sure on all the breeds i got most from tsc they were red and white kinda looked like prod reds, i had an americana die, and a bb red bantam die as well.

Last edited:
it could be something they're eating?

what about some kind of poisonous bug, or plant?

ETA: the little bitty chicks LOVE to chase wasps when they're out,I'm sure a sting from a wasn't would kill, if not seriously hurt them. maybe they're eating some kind of spider that bites them?

Last edited:
You said you got most from tsc. Did some come from a farm? There could be a disease present. Were some vaccinated for Marek's and some not?

these chicks have been together for over 4 months together. they are in a pen.
i have tin burried about a 1 and a half feet under the dirt so nothing will dig in, and i have about two feet of tin for the walls so nothing can get them, the pen it 8 ft long and about 5 wide.

no vaccination that i know of, i cant find anywhere around here with poultry meds, i put some antibiotics called duramycin in all the chickens water because i had one hen that wasnt acting like she was feeling good, i separated her from all the others. but to be safe i gave it all to them.

i called the vet office around here and she said she has to examine the chickens before she gives me meds for anything. and it would be 100.00 examination fee not including tests they would run and price of meds. cant afford that.

I certainly understand about the vet.

Chickens eat poisonous spiders, bees, scorpions, even poisonous snakes all the time. Not to say that one does not get stung sometimes, but at least mostly they seem to do fine with it.

Only other thing I can think of besides some disease is molded feed. You said it had been raining. Is it possible some feed got wet and molded? I believe it is botulism that they can get from this.

Here is a thread that gives some basic info on a lot of the diseases chickens can get:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=185608

Sorry you are going through this.

Back
Top Bottom