1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am sure I am not reinventing the wheel - practical advice only.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hillcountrychickens, Mar 31, 2008.

1. hillcountrychickens

hillcountrychickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Dripping Springs, TX
    So here is the deal.

I have a flock of hens, no rooster. There are 7. Three from my original flock, four added in last spring as full-size pullets. Things were dicy but settled down as usual.

I also have four chicks who are getting big and who have been banished into the chicken yard inside a chicken tractor. In the garage is a rabbit hutch, I have three little cuties who are smaller still -- about as big as my hand...over a month old.

Things are getting crowded in these separate cages. I want to start combining. One of my little ones in the rabbit hutch is definately smaller than her two sisters and is giving me pause.

I don't put off people feelings on chickens -- their brains are the size of a pea. I want it simple! Thank you.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

When ever the groups of chicks/chickens are about the same size and eating the same food, you can start to put them together. Easy as that. :p

3. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I would suggest putting the smaller ones in a cage/pen where the other ones can see them for a few days then put them in at night together.

The most important thing is for them to be very close in size if not the others will peck the smallest one to death.

4. hillcountrychickens

hillcountrychickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Thank you. I will try this. What do they do when a hen hatches out eggs into the flock?

5. silkiechicken

If the hen has only a few chicks and the flock is not crowded, she will be so mean that not even the rooster will step in her path, and will protect the chicks. At least my nasty broody is that way! She's only had to do one chick at a time though.

6. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    It is best to seperate a broody hen and her chicks from the flock in an inclosed space like a kennal or something.

Though a mother hen does a great job of protecting the chicks often one will get left behind or will get lost and can easily be attacked and killed by older chickens or predator.

This is what I do for my broodies. A kennal with a small pen attached and free-range time with supervision.

[​IMG]

7. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:That is such a good idea!

8. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    so when you seperate them, do you feed them chick food or have two kinds or what?[​IMG]

My chicks are coming tomorrow. I hope I know what Im doing...

9. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    The chicks and momma all eat chick starter. The hen doesn't need the extra calcium in the layer feed because she isn't laying.

10. silkiechicken

Are you grafting chicks to a broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by