I am sure I am not reinventing the wheel - practical advice only.

hillcountrychickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
Dripping Springs, TX
So here is the deal.

I have a flock of hens, no rooster. There are 7. Three from my original flock, four added in last spring as full-size pullets. Things were dicy but settled down as usual.

I also have four chicks who are getting big and who have been banished into the chicken yard inside a chicken tractor. In the garage is a rabbit hutch, I have three little cuties who are smaller still -- about as big as my hand...over a month old.

Things are getting crowded in these separate cages. I want to start combining. One of my little ones in the rabbit hutch is definately smaller than her two sisters and is giving me pause.

I don't put off people feelings on chickens -- their brains are the size of a pea. I want it simple! Thank you.

I would suggest putting the smaller ones in a cage/pen where the other ones can see them for a few days then put them in at night together.

The most important thing is for them to be very close in size if not the others will peck the smallest one to death.

If the hen has only a few chicks and the flock is not crowded, she will be so mean that not even the rooster will step in her path, and will protect the chicks. At least my nasty broody is that way! She's only had to do one chick at a time though.

It is best to seperate a broody hen and her chicks from the flock in an inclosed space like a kennal or something.

Though a mother hen does a great job of protecting the chicks often one will get left behind or will get lost and can easily be attacked and killed by older chickens or predator.

This is what I do for my broodies. A kennal with a small pen attached and free-range time with supervision.

Chicks037.jpg

Back
Top Bottom