I am tired of jumping fences...

This is not the best photo but it’s all I could find since it’s already dark. The fencing we added goes up about 18” since they were going through the wiring
Honestly, I'm so sorry to go off topic (chatting is my weakness) but that big blue fun looking thingy in this picture looks like a blast!!!

Lots of folks clip wings and I've noticed that some have mentioned that they've only had to do it once because their birds just don't try it again, even after they've grown new feathers

What is your opinion on their safety with clipped Wings?

Safe from what?
For most predators, I don't think it will make much difference.
Something like a hawk can easily catch them anyway.
Any nighttime predators will also catch them just as easily either way, because chickens don't really fly in the dark.

If clipped wings keep them home, and if your own yard is safe, then clipped wings will help them be safer. When they fly into someone else's yard, you have no control over what dangers they meet (dog? lawn mower? poisonous plants? etc.)

I am relatively new and read a bit about it but I’m not to confident on how to do it.
It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Have a helper hold the chicken and cover the chicken's head, then cut the primary feathers with a sharp pair of scissors or shears. Cut right below the primary coverts. This diagram doesn't show it, but right between the primaries and secondaries there is a tiny feather called the axial feather. Stop cutting at the axial feather. There are some nice YouTube tutorials if you are still not sure.
Feather+2.jpg

What is your opinion on their safety with clipped
Wings?
My chickens are still safe with wings clipped. I have never seen mine fly away from danger (mainly eagles), only run, and some of those chickens have never had a clipped wing. Yours might be different though, so it is up to you whether you think their safety will be compromised with a clipped wing.

The picture shows a 4' fence. My birds with clipped wings will sometimes jump up on the 4' obstacles or stairstep their way up (4' compost pile with delicious things on top.) With unclipped wings they were clearing the 6' privacy fence and taunting the dogs. No chickens were hurt for this comment, but the dogs wanted to play.

You may have marginal success with wing clipping if your fence is only 4'.

Do your neighbors mind the chicken visits? Else I would recommend a 6' dog kennel run when you can't supervise.

Your other option is to go to an all silky flock that doesn't fly. Even my fat girls with clipped wings try to check out the compost pile with varying degrees of success. (It's the second favored egg laying spot also.)

I have leghorns and I clip their wings constantly... two of them have springs in their goddamned legs, they have been jailed to a dog kennel bc they keep shi**ing on my porch....
sorry, had to vent. I think I’m going to go with aarts suggestion and raise my fence using chicken wire. It’s going to take forever though. I feel your pain.

Back
Top Bottom