I am trying to decide what breed or breeds of chickens to get

chixie

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
kountze texas
I am planning on ordering chicks next year... what type(s) of chickens are more layed back.... I have an idea of what I want ... but i would really like some that are layed back...

Aside from having a laid-back temperament (which yes, is breed related to an extent, but IME has much to do with the way they're raised as well) what function would you like them to perform for you?

Are you looking for eggs? If so do you have a color preference? White, brown, dark brown, blue/green?

Are you looking for meat?

Are you looking for meat AND eggs?

Do you want them to "look" a certain way? Pretty? Traditional? Unique/Weird? Color preferences?

Do you have space limitations or size preferences? Standard? Bantam?

Knowing all of the above will help everyone make recommendations that are more likely to fit your needs wholly.

I am not particular as for they will be mainly for pets with some egg consumption...i do not eat my chickens... just looking for something that isn't too agressive(rooster wise) ... size doesn't really matter... something cute maybe....

any suggestions would be considered..(1 have 7 mutt chickens at the moment)

Last edited:
I would suggest cochins if your looking for layed back personality or silkies,and maybe even black austrolorps.Oh and seramas are nice two.

GET THEM ALL!!! Okay well as I'm sure we'd all like to have a few of every breed that's a little hard to do. I have Lavender Ameraucanas and they are pretty sweet, especially the boys. I don't know what everyone else's experiences are with them, but I love mine. Whatever you get, hold them everyday (even if they don't want to be held) and ply them with lots of treats. Mine can't resist cherry tomatoes.

thanks.. I am leaning towards the silkie(my cousin has them) and cochins... maybe another breed ( i like variety)

Last edited:
I like my buff orps - sweet girls that have that "traditional chicken" look.

Also like my silver spangled hamburgs and golden campines (both are very pretty but "flighty" birds).

My 3 Barred rocks, 3 Buff Orpingtons, and 2 Rhode Island Reds are all so sweet and friendly. I spent hours talking to them in the brooder and slowly started putting my hand in without picking them up so they wouldn't fear the big hand that snatches them up.

At 30 wks, they run up to me to the point of getting toes stepped on if I'm not careful. I can still pick them up, pet them and put them down without a fuss. Comes in handy when they get out.

I can lift up my broody BR and take the egg she's trying to hatch without getting bit or growled at. She does growl at the other girls if they get too close.

I love having the colorful flock and it makes it easier to make sure everyone is accounted for at bedtime.

I just ordered the MPC 25 Pullet Rainbow Special and I'm hoping for EE's, Speckled Sussex, Light Brown Leghorn, White Plymouth Rocks, Silver or Gold Lace Wyandottes.

Good luck - you're going to get 100 different responses.

I love my hens... I have one that is broody(she is sitting 8-10 eggs under a piole of ten in my yard... )every day at lunch time she comes up hollering for her feed ... I dont like my 2 roos...

I am really looking forward to some friendlier breeds... I know everyone has their opinions and I want to here them... then I will make my choice of what to get... thank you everyone... if I could I would get some of every breed

I have 3 EE, 2 black australorps, 1 silver laced wyandotte, and 1 golden laced wyandotte. I am going to suggest the Black Australorps for you. Ours are the sweetest things and you can hold them forever. They don't try to fight with the others or the larger ducks that we have. Oh and they come walking up to you as soon as they can hear your voice.
love.gif
They aren't the most flashy looking chickens but they are love bugs.

Back
Top Bottom