I am trying to decide what breed or breeds of chickens to get

Eric in NC wrote:
Also like my silver spangled hamburgs and golden campines (both are very pretty but "flighty" birds).

Hey, Eric! I have one of your golden campines...she flies from the roost to my hand to be hand fed every day! Is that what you mean by flighty? (grin) All your other beautiful birds are doing great, too, by the way, and I'm expecting some babies in the mail to complete pairs/etc for those gorgeous roos.

Anyway -- I have Barred Rock, Delaware, Dark Brahma Bantam, and Polish roos that are all sweet. The Barred Rocks I hand raised, and messed with them all the time. As soon as they could fly they would fly to my shoulders whenever they saw me.... I agree with the poster that said it's only partly due to breeding. Some is due to raising.​

farmin'chick :

Eric in NC wrote:
Also like my silver spangled hamburgs and golden campines (both are very pretty but "flighty" birds).

Hey, Eric! I have one of your golden campines...she flies from the roost to my hand to be hand fed every day! Is that what you mean by flighty? (grin) All your other beautiful birds are doing great, too, by the way, and I'm expecting some babies in the mail to complete pairs/etc for those gorgeous roos.

Anyway -- I have Barred Rock, Delaware, Dark Brahma Bantam, and Polish roos that are all sweet. The Barred Rocks I hand raised, and messed with them all the time. As soon as they could fly they would fly to my shoulders whenever they saw me.... I agree with the poster that said it's only partly due to breeding. Some is due to raising.​

That is indeed what I meant - they fly to greet me and also end up on the roof of the coop, the top of the muscadine arbor, etc. They don't know that chickens aren't supposed to fly much.

On the other hand, because they fly to greet me, they get first crack at the treats!

You ready to take delivery of that Black Copper Marans roo? He is a looker and has a nice crow - just have two of them and my Buff Orp roo says that is too many "young punks" to have around.​

My light brahma is my most mellow, sweetest chicken. I can hold her forever and she doesn't fight it. She is my cuddly chicken.

My RIR and my EE will fly onto my arm like a hawk to get treats. The EE is so light when she lands on me. The RIR isn't as gentle about it, but she's not trying to hurt me either. She's just the lowest in the pecking order and figures that's the only way she can get the treats.

I have one little sweet White-Crested Black Polish who is the friendliest, most gentle and quiet girl. Whenever I needed to go into my chickens run, she was always right at my feet, checking me out. She doesn't run when I need to catch her, and she wouldn't dream of pecking. Plus, she's just hilarious to watch, peeking around her bouffant hairdo.
gig.gif

i have red stars a cohin bantam & silver laced wyandotee which are really tame and sweet they follow me all around the yard jump up in my lap and are just very loving:), so r my 2 turkens . I've also had buff orps that were real sweeties , my silkie is ok but she'd rather b left alone if it were up to her . as long as you play with them alot as chicks they will b tame no matter what breed but some r jst more friendly than others, good luck
thumbsup.gif

they are all special!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom