I am wrong or is this a SpitzHauben Appenzell???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jonny Anvil, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Everyone,

I recently went on a mission to capture a Rooster who was left behind at a local property about 30 mins from my acreage, The owner of the property had this young fellow stroll up on her land earlier this year and ended up becoming a tenant. The family recently moved and asked if someone could come and capture this rooster and give him a warm place for winter, as there was no one living at the acreage and she was concerned. We were also concerned and decided to go wrangle up this fellow. As he has been living under the deck for the past few weeks now.

Long story short I was able to capture him and he was placed in a transport cage with food and water where he devoured a good portion of the feed and had a good drink, we waited for him to relax and then brought him to his new home where he will life in a nice warm coop this winter. I do believe that he is a few years old already.

My question is, and I am almost certain but correct me if I am wrong is this a SpitzHauben Appenzell???

Either way he has a new home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Opinions???

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Have no idea but he is very handsome.

Julie

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm not an expert on appenzeller spitzhauben by any means (I've never had one, though I think they're lovely birds), but he sure looks like one to me! Very cool-looking guy. [​IMG]

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Wow he's beautiful! [​IMG] Great find!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    He looks Gamey. He might have some toppy game in him...

Chris

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No, he looked like a cross breed. The feather pattern is all wrong. It could be crossed with Apenzeller Spitzhauben over a Mottled Houdan...that is my wild guess.

Here are my Spitzhaubens and you can see the difference.

[​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That roo look like it has a rose comb to it.....so cross out Houdan cross. Spitzhaubens, Polish and Houdans all have V combs.

And he looks like he has some mottled pigment in his legs......

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I would say Spitx mix - but either way - one good looking rooster!

9. Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah i was looking at pictures last night and trying to figure out just what he is exactly.

Either way, he now has a permanent home at our acreage! [​IMG]

10. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Spitz X but he is still gorgeous! To me he looks much better than the actual "purebred" spitz in the USA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by