I am wrong or is this a SpitzHauben Appenzell???

Jonny Anvil

Songster
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Strathcona County, Alberta
Hey Everyone,

I recently went on a mission to capture a Rooster who was left behind at a local property about 30 mins from my acreage, The owner of the property had this young fellow stroll up on her land earlier this year and ended up becoming a tenant. The family recently moved and asked if someone could come and capture this rooster and give him a warm place for winter, as there was no one living at the acreage and she was concerned. We were also concerned and decided to go wrangle up this fellow. As he has been living under the deck for the past few weeks now.

Long story short I was able to capture him and he was placed in a transport cage with food and water where he devoured a good portion of the feed and had a good drink, we waited for him to relax and then brought him to his new home where he will life in a nice warm coop this winter. I do believe that he is a few years old already.

My question is, and I am almost certain but correct me if I am wrong is this a SpitzHauben Appenzell???

Either way he has a new home.

DSC06719.jpg

DSC06739.jpg

DSC06714.jpg

DSC06724.jpg

Opinions???

I'm not an expert on appenzeller spitzhauben by any means (I've never had one, though I think they're lovely birds), but he sure looks like one to me! Very cool-looking guy.
big_smile.png

No, he looked like a cross breed. The feather pattern is all wrong. It could be crossed with Apenzeller Spitzhauben over a Mottled Houdan...that is my wild guess.

Here are my Spitzhaubens and you can see the difference.

DSCF0004.jpg

That roo look like it has a rose comb to it.....so cross out Houdan cross. Spitzhaubens, Polish and Houdans all have V combs.

And he looks like he has some mottled pigment in his legs......

Back
Top Bottom