I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

Pics
He also told me that incubation temperatures have a lot to do with the sexing of the birds and it's believed that when incubation temperatures drop and become cooler if this can cause the birds sex to begin to change from a rooster to a head and all these birds were incubated. So he believes that we might have something going on genetically and agrees it's pretty fascinating

Well we're just now leaving the vet and I'll try to get a video up later. But after the physical examination Dr Dan said that the bird appeared physically to be a rooster and the vent size he said was a little small however he said as far as it's understood when this happens as a male hormones take over the female traits become less and less and the chances in them laying more eggs becomes less and less. He said he could try DNA testing but he's not sure that that would reveal the answers were looking for and unfortunately as somebody else had mentioned the only sure method to determine this would be an autopsy. As Dr Dan keeps more than a hundred chickens himself, he said this would be the first case that he had ever come across. And wants me to keep him posted on any new developments in the future as well as if the egg matures. So as of now all an examination can show is that this bird appears to be a rooster, but if what I thought happened did happen then this would be what he would expect to see. So I guess it's still comes down to to a bird that I think laid an egg and I guess unless we do the autopsy thing we may never know. And I'm good with that, cuz like I said even if Vic is just a rooster and possibility that this can even happen as a reality is pretty cool in itself. And it only cost me about 170 bucks to find out.
So, as I and others predicted. The vet didn't really tell you anything you didn't know already. That you have what looks like a rooster.

I'm sorry you paid $170 for that.

He also told me that incubation temperatures have a lot to do with the sexing of the birds and it's believed that when incubation temperatures drop and become cooler if this can cause the birds sex to begin to change from a rooster to a head and all these birds were incubated. So he believes that we might have something going on genetically and agrees it's pretty fascinating

Unless I've missed something, chickens are not turtles. They are chromosomal sex determined animals, not temperature.

I googled and found this from 1997 https://www.independent.co.uk/news/a-drop-in-temperature-can-change-the-sex-of-chickens-1238516.html

Which I thought was BS, and I found this study which debunked that one in 2013. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119384251

Maybe there are more studies. I only spent 10 seconds researching. Or maybe your vet isn't up to date. If it were true then commercial hatcheries would be doing it already.

All of the literature I have read on temperature during incubation has indicated that the sex of the embryo does not change due to the incubation temperature. The sex of the embryo is determined by the hen's half of the DNA as contributed to the egg before it's even fully formed. At most, studies have found that a change in temperature can result in a very slight loss of survival of embryos of one sex or the other, but that just means some of the male embryos die, not that they change sex and hatch as a female. I have not found anything in all my reading that indicates a chicken embryo can change sex due to incubation temperature beyond claims of it happening by people who don't fully understand the science there, and that question comes up pretty regularly here and in other chicken groups... 🤔

That's reptiles. There are theories that unstable incubation temps can kill off more of one sex, but the sex they are is what the egg was when it was first laid

I still think the whole story is a hoax. Either a hoax on him or an attempted hoax on all of us. Until he can give actual proof of what he’s saying, I say BS

This really makes me wonder what kind of vet your "Dr. Dan" is supposed to be, as a real veterinarian that "keeps more than a hundred chickens himself" would know that this is not the case.

Nice try @CityFarmerRob and at least somewhat entertaining. ;)

Back
Top Bottom