I bought a broody mama and she has 7 eggs!

Pics
It's been almost 2 days since the last egg hatched, do you think the last 2 eggs will hatch? She has started moving off the eggs/rolling them out of the nest.

It's been almost 2 days since the last egg hatched, do you think the last 2 eggs will hatch? She has started moving off the eggs/rolling them out of the nest.

I would take them away from her and candle them.

If they are dead, get rid of them.

If they are alive, you might be able to finish hatching them in an incubator, but it sounds like that hen is ready to be done with eggs and focus on taking care of the chicks that have already hatched.

I would take them away from her and candle them.

If they are dead, get rid of them.

If they are alive, you might be able to finish hatching them in an incubator, but it sounds like that hen is ready to be done with eggs and focus on taking care of the chicks that have already hatched.
What should they look like if they are dead? I don't have an incubator at the moment unfortunately.

What should they look like if they are dead?

That would partly depend on when they died.

You've got some candling pictures in the first post of this thread-- any chick that has not grown bigger must have died.

If you see a chick moving, it must be alive.

Any egg that smells rotten should also be discarded.

(I don't have much personal experience with this, so I'm just going by what I've read that seems to make sense: live chicks grow and move and don't stink.)

That would partly depend on when they died.

You've got some candling pictures in the first post of this thread-- any chick that has not grown bigger must have died.

If you see a chick moving, it must be alive.

Any egg that smells rotten should also be discarded.

(I don't have much personal experience with this, so I'm just going by what I've read that seems to make sense: live chicks grow and move and don't stink.)
Ok so here are the eggs. Egg #3 has no movement and just looks dark and not viable. Egg #6 still has movement! It was less developed than the others when I candled the first time. She's staying on them this morning so I guess we'll see🤷

Egg #3
20211110_084059.jpg

Egg #6
20211110_084155.jpg

Back
Top Bottom