I bought a broody mama and she has 7 eggs!

Pics

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
So i just purchased a blue silkie hen and her previous owner said she was SUPER broody and offered to sent her eggs with her.

She has 7 eggs and I have no idea how far on they are. I candled 3 of them and took pictures. I know they aren't the best pictures but I seen veins and babies in them! How far along are these babies??
20211030_110228.jpg
20211030_110213.jpg
20211030_110155.jpg

Cool!
Please keep us updated! :pop:wee

(I'm not an expert, but here's my guess:))
I think the eggs look no younger than a week. Maybe a week and a half?
Try asking the previous owner when they put the eggs under her. That's how you'll know for sure (if they remember, of course).

Good luck ❤️ Hatching is always SO EXCITING!

Cool!
Please keep us updated! :pop:wee

(I'm not an expert, but here's my guess:))
I think the eggs look no younger than a week. Maybe a week and a half?
Try asking the previous owner when they put the eggs under her. That's how you'll know for sure (if they remember, of course).

Good luck ❤️ Hatching is always SO EXCITING!
I tried asking her and she said she had no idea🤷‍ I'm so excited though! All my other silkies are still too young to go broody so this is my first experience!

I have her (Pepper) in a dog crate in my house with food and water for now. We are getting a new little coop fixed up for breeding groups and she'll go in there at some point. I just didn't want to move her around a whole lot.

I have her (Pepper) in a dog crate in my house with food and water for now. We are getting a new little coop fixed up for breeding groups and she'll go in there at some point. I just didn't want to move her around a whole lot.
Some hens get upset if you move them while they are sitting on eggs (they want to go back to the previous nest).

After the chicks hatch, the mother will mostly stay with the chicks, so she will tend to be content wherever you put her so long as the chicks are with her.

And it's normal for her to literally not have moved out of the little box she's nesting in since I got her yesterday afternoon right?
Normal, but she still needs exercise daily and access to food and water 24/7. Broody hens normally get off the nest 1-2 times daily. She can be off the nest for an hour max, and the eggs will be fine. When she gets off the nest, let her outside or something so she can get her exercise. Otherwise, she may become unhealthy and/or sick.
And keep in mind, she's in a new home with new people and new smells. She may be a little scared for the next few days. Try to keep her as comfortable as possible. :)

Some hens get upset if you move them while they are sitting on eggs (they want to go back to the previous nest).

After the chicks hatch, the mother will mostly stay with the chicks, so she will tend to be content wherever you put her so long as the chicks are with her.
Thanks! When I do move her to the new coop I plan to just put her and the whole nesting box she's in, in the coop. I won't attempt to move her and the eggs separately if that makes sense?

Normal, but she still needs exercise daily and access to food and water 24/7. Broody hens normally get off the nest 1-2 times daily. She can be off the nest for an hour max, and the eggs will be fine. When she gets off the nest, let her outside or something so she can get her exercise. Otherwise, she may become unhealthy and/or sick.
And keep in mind, she's in a new home with new people and new smells. She may be a little scared for the next few days. Try to keep her as comfortable as possible. :)
Will do! I have a blanket draped over part of the crate so she feels safe and secure.

Back
Top Bottom