I bought a Jersey Milk Cow!!!! Butter, cheese & cream.......

Your girl is SO beautiful: I am literally green with envy. We are dealing with a dairy farmer on a 4 year old Jersey right now. If all goes well, she'll be here next month: As soon as we get her house built and our new (very old used) trailer ready to go get her (needs some work but it is solid). She has been hand milked and is giving around 4 gallons a day and is bred to a pedigreed Jersey bull. After reading your post, I am going to mention to the DH that we should put in a concrete pad for the milking area....I wouldn't have thought of that before she got here otherwise....so thank you!
I worked on a big dairy farm for a while when I was a teenager a long, long time ago, but very rarely hand milked....so this will be interesting. I am so very excited about being able to make butter and cheese though.
big_smile.png
Well that and cows are so darned adorable
love.gif

Nice looking Jersey. Was hard to see her bag with her leg forward.

Any info on the bull yet? I would like to check him out for my Jersey, Honey Girl.

What is she putting out a day? Do you milk her once or twice a day?

I'm milking Honey once a day and getting 2 gallons a day.
fresh buttermilk, yum.
droolin.gif

Quote:
I am milking 2x a day and getting between 3 and 4 gallons. Her bag is not beautiful but MAN does she produce the milk! I have bought a surge milker that should be here soon as I am having a very difficult time keeping up with her by hand. I fear she is getting a little uncomfortable due to the length of time it takes me to milk her out. I never had considered it would take me so long at a time.

The bull is the top breeding bull in Denmark and the UK both. His name is Impuls.
He produces some amazing udders!!!! I have seen pics of lots of his daughters. Very nice!

You can see two of his daughters and read some of his sons stats on this PDF form
http://usa.absglobal.com/dairy/files/July 2010 Jersey Bullbook.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
I love my surge milker. I have an SP-22. Took us a little while, but finally got the hang of it. Only takes 5-8 minutes to get Honey milked out. Much faster then hand milking.
Only trouble we have had is it is hard to get going when it is really cold, but that is because we have a 15 amp breaker in our barn and we need a 30 amp. Trips the breaker.

So is yours new or used?
I got mine used. we just put in a rebuilt kit in the pulsator and got new inflators with the kit.

Here are some pics of mine.
Vaccum pump
IMG_6092.jpg

Bucket
IMG_6093.jpg

In action
IMG_6095.jpg

Quote:
Mine is used as well. I am waiting for it to arrive. It was just recently rebuilt and includes all but the pump which I bought today at Harbor Freight. I am just waiting to see if the 3 cfi 1/3 hp pump is going to be large enough to run the milker effectively. I think it will be.
DH is going to build me a vac resevoir this weekend. Fingers crossed that everything goes smooth and I can figure it all out, lol.

Our Jersey is arriving on Saturday. She will be the new cow we use for our milk share. I get to be the first one to milk her and I'm really hoping for a nice milker. Our other cow, a holstein, milks out nicely but has to be hobbled to keep her from continually knocking the bucket over. I really hope this one is a quiet milker!

Congrats on your beautiful new cow!

WOW good choice for the bull! I am sure his daughters and granddaughters will be well reknown for their high milk capabilities and higher milk fat percentages.

Quote:
I am milking 2x a day and getting between 3 and 4 gallons. Her bag is not beautiful but MAN does she produce the milk! I have bought a surge milker that should be here soon as I am having a very difficult time keeping up with her by hand. I fear she is getting a little uncomfortable due to the length of time it takes me to milk her out. I never had considered it would take me so long at a time.

The bull is the top breeding bull in Denmark and the UK both. His name is Impuls.
He produces some amazing udders!!!! I have seen pics of lots of his daughters. Very nice!

You can see two of his daughters and read some of his sons stats on this PDF form
http://usa.absglobal.com/dairy/files/July 2010 Jersey Bullbook.pdf

Maybe we will have the next veronica!!!

Maggie is very quiet and easy to get along with. She stands patiently and chews her cud like a good girl while being milked. The worst she does is that if she thinks you are taking too long she will shift her weight around a bit or hit you with her tail, lol.
I am still slow when it comes to milking her so I sympathize with her. I think she is entitled to expressing her irritation with me at this point. I am getting better every day though so soon I will have it all down pat
smile.png

I bought a churn to make butter and am looking at cream seperators as well. I'm quite excited about all of the different things that I can make from her milk and when I get my two milking does I will have even a bigger list of choices that I can make. I can hardly wait to get everything going and start sampling some of the rewards!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom