Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 2000 BMW 740iL that I want to sell or trade in. It's got 71,000 miles. Repairs are EXPENSIVE and are becoming more frequent.

If you had $20,000 to spend for a newer vehicle + the trade in (probably worth about $11,000+) What would you buy?

I like ROOMY vehicles.

Last edited:
There is only one car that I would own, and it's roomy up front - forget the back seats though - but you can fit (2) 3 year old peafowl in the back seat. However the trunk does hold (6) 50 pound bags of feed. This was the first one. The peafowl are in the box... i'm not that crazy

Mailcarbackseat.jpg

Then I upgraded.
smile.png

DSCI0018.jpg

DSCI0021.jpg

DSCI0017.jpg

Steve

Probably a 2009 Honda Pilot. Personally I drive a GMC Jimmy that I hope to NEVER have to replace
lol.png
but they quit making them in the early 2000's. My brother is the quintessential "review nerd" and before he bought his Honda Pilot, he did extensive research...like months worth.

Don't know if I can help with roomy, but I'd have to say I've been very happy with my Lexus. Routine repairs at standard mileage, going strong with close to 160k miles and she'll be 18 in a few months. I expect at least 200k on her, as others have gotten to 300+ on the original engine. On the car forum, one SC owner has theirs up to 400k. Repairs are less expensive that those European cars too.

If I had that cash for a car get another Lexus, about 4-5 years old, to let someone else take that first depreciation hit. I'd look at the GX if you want to get up off the ground, or an LS if you want to continue with a sedan style. Unlike that Beamer, 71k miles is nothing. I'd aim for a garaged baby that's between 40-80k commute miles.

Quote:
You have me beat! I can only get 3-50lb bags of feed in the trunk or one bag of shavings with one bag of feed. Figure with so little space, might as well bypass factory sub and throw in an after market one in the trunk. Go 9 cubic feet of oblong storage space! Believe it or not, I can get a 32 gallon tote in the back seat! (It doesn't fit in the trunk).

Considering the size of your family and your need to haul bags of feed, I would say a Chevrolet or GMC Suburban.

My brother had a Ford Expedition which might have been nice, except once you own a Ford it is real hard to forget the experience. It was put together with boogers. Every time it got real hot, things fell apart. Everything came unglued.

Trim and fit was really bad. It reminded me of cars made in Eastern Europe where quality did not count.

Rufus

Quote:
Did you mean "unboogered?"

lau.gif

I drive a Suburban, btw.. A 2003 model 2500 series 4x4. Gets about 13mpg on a good day. That's not great.

I like it otherwise, though.
smile.png

Quote:
Did you mean "unboogered?"

lau.gif

I drive a Suburban, btw.. A 2003 model 2500 series 4x4. Gets about 13mpg on a good day. That's not great.

I like it otherwise, though.
smile.png

Some of us don't have to worry about gas mileage.

You know what they call people that drive Suburbans? Survivors.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom