I bought a sick bird. now what?

warren

Songster
12 Years
Sep 29, 2007
UK
I got my 2 new babies out of the box yesterday and thought that one did not look as lively as I would like.
A few hours later she had a sticky wet look about her beak. This morning she had cloudy mucous in her beak and now she has a rattle in her chest.
She is only 22 weeks old and the other (which is not yet showing any symptoms) is 17 weeks.
Do you think that she will get better? What should I do? I have emailed the vendor but not yet got a reply.
I am very sad about it.

I'm a little confused. You said new "babies" but said she's 22 weeks old. At 22 weeks she should be laying eggs. Did you order a chicken that old and was it shipped to you? In any event mucus and rattle aren't good which is why I'm asking about the source and age of the bird.

*bump* I think she just means 'new' to her, not newly hatched...From what I've read you will probably be advised to start her on Terramycin... I hope some who knows will show up to help you.

Thanks for your replies, folks.
She was 22 weeks old according to the lady who sold her to me, but not yet laying. She was a lovely docile hen, but perhaps that was because she was just not feeling well enough to struggle much.
I noticed a slight unpleasant smell about her, but her eyes looked good. Her breathing was bad today. Sounded like she was snoring.
I took her back today and the lady was OK about it and gave me my money back. She said that she would put her on antibiotics.
I am happy to deal with vendors who listen to my problems and do the right thing.
I am not experienced enough to deal with a young sick hen, and really I should not have to after only a day or two, but I was sad to dump her even though I only had her for such a short time. I hope that she will be OK and find a good home.
The other one is only 17 weeks old and seems well.

Back
Top Bottom