I bought straight run of a few different breeds they range frome 3-4 weeks are they still to young t

Paislee

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
South East Louisiana

I've got 2 black copper marans, 1 birchen maran, 2 blue copper marans, splash maran, wheaten maran, 3 lemon cuckoo orphingtons, and the golden sexlink and black and brown (don't remember what she is) are females so the feed n seed say!(bought them just to be sure I had some lil ladies) lol.
I can post more pictures. I have my suspicions of this lil wheaten being a rooster :) though I'm really hoping that one of the black coppers is a male. thanks for any help.

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
10 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
Marans roosters tend to broadcast their gender early with fast developing combs. I knew at 2 weeks which one of mine was going to be roo, and confirmed by 4 weeks...sold him at 8 weeks.

None of yours is screaming roo...but it is hard to see the individual combs in the group shot.

The one you are concerned about is probably a pullet, but keep watching it.

Here is a picture of my BCM's at 4 weeks...you can see the rooster in comparison to his two sisters.

Lady of McCamley

roo on far right

roo on far left

roo on far right

Last edited:

Paislee

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
South East Louisiana
Yes, I do see what you mean. there is quite a difference I believe mine make 3 weeks old tomorrow. The picture I posted is my largest of the BCM that I have. so it might seem like its safe to say this is a pullet then?

Lady of McCamley

Free Ranging
10 Years
Mar 19, 2011
NW Oregon
Hard to tell in the black drop with lighting...but that is a very small comb...so I would say pullet.

Still early, and SOME Marans roosters develop more slowly, but generally you will see clear signs by 6 weeks.

Lady of McCamley

Top Bottom