I bought turkeys.

aurajean515

Chirping
Oct 6, 2018
Alright, I have a flock of about 80 or so chickens. I love my backyard flock but I've been wanting to spice things up for a while.
I did some research on whether turkeys could live with chickens and was delighted to learn that they can. I know all about blackhead, but I'm not worried as its not a problem here.
The problem is that the turkey poults are much larger than chicks would be at their age. Silly of me to think they wouldn't be.
As a new turkey owner, I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me advice on owning turkeys! Just so I'm a little more prepared. Thanks :)

One specific question I have is, will they run off? My chickens are free range and put themselves to bed every night. Will the turkeys do the same? Do turkeys roost at night or do they sleep on the floor? I believe one of my turkeys is a tom, will he and my roosters fight? And if the turkeys can free range, how long should I keep them penned up before allowing them to do so?

Left to themselves, turkeys will roost high in trees, rafters of buildings, and other high places. They fly much better than chickens. They can be "trained" to roost at night in a coop if the accommodations are right...they like a higher roost than chickens and obviously more room. Once toms mature they are unlikely to fly over fences...but hens will. Wings can also be clipped to keep them within enclosures.
My turkeys roam over much larger distances than the chickens will. They are curious and will make their way to where the humans hang out (back porches, carports, neighbors) They also will try to help you while you do chores.

Back
Top Bottom