I built a new feeder

RebelChief

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Brownsville, TX
So today I built a feeder for the chickens. I'm new to woodworking so I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself. This and my fodder tower are the first things I've built without following a plan or a video instruction. Saw a picture of what I wanted and just made it. It's not quite done yet, I still have to decorate it a bit since it's a bit plain. I used scrap wood left over from other projects. All I had to buy was the PVC pipe. It's not done yet.....I plan to decorate it a bit.

79152940_10162541474845114_3066608217007063040_o.jpg
78885076_10162541475315114_1907430839130521600_o.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Rain might run in where the top is hinged and spoil the feed. Spoiled food smells like an old beer bottle. I've had it happen to me.

Looks pretty good to me. Rain might run in where the top is hinged and spoil the feed. Spoiled food smells like an old beer bottle. I've had it happen to me.

It will be in the covered run and pretty well protected. If the rain gets in it will have to be a driving sideways rain. Thank you for the warning, I will certainly keep an eye out. I was thinking about adding some weather stripping around the top to keep more water tight.

That's pretty cool, I love the window to see feed level
.....but...
I think you missed a basic premise of this design by cutting too much off the fittings inside.
Actually 45° fittings don't need anything cut off,
90° fittings should be set with the flat ~1" off bottom inside.
It should work, but you might get spillage.
upload_2019-12-15_17-36-55.png

What are the dimensions of the box?
Do you have any pics of the inside?

I'm not sure how well that will work, for them to eat all the feed before you add new feed. Make sure all the old feed has been removed, before you dump new in or it could end up going moldy and will lose nutritional value.

If I have feed left in the bottom of my no waste feeders, I dump it into the bucket that holds feed that I ferment.

Back
Top Bottom