I Can’t Get Their Rear Ends Out of the Run At Night!

Pics
Regarding chicken math if there is a possibility you will chase a second breed type build towards that breed and consider a second coop. I have said this 100's of times before but the two breeds I currently keep have entirely differing coop requirements. My Sumatra roost high, fly well and follow on generations may well choose the trees for some reason this last month they are trying to move to the front porch railings. The Silkies are very ground oriented sure they do not need the 8-10' high roof I built for them but I do. The silkies would be happy with a 2' roof. In the future I want to add Malay and they do not meet either of my other breeds keeping requirements being non-flighted and 3 feet tall.
Great information. I have the prefab being delivered this weekend that will ultimately go to the new house as a secondary coop. So much to learn as a newbie so thanks for being patient with questions. The coop that is coming will be modified with additional windows w wire reinforcement.
One additional question...and please don’t judge too harshly...I currently live in the suburbs and plan to keep the girls locked up tight in the coop at night. I watch them pretty regularly during the day and they do not free range and the run size is 5x12 so there will be plenty of room for them. That being said, if the coop is predator proof, what are your thoughts on the wire being dug around the run. Is it necessary? We will definitely have it for the new coop, and I’m not trying to cheap out, but Simply not wanting to over-engineer something that will be used for 90 days and they will not have access to the run at night.

That being said, if the coop is predator proof, what are your thoughts on the wire being dug around the run. Is it necessary?

If you check each morning before you let the chickens out, then probably not necessary.

Check to be sure no tunnel was dug the previous night, then let them out for the day--it's unlikely that any wild animal will dig an entire tunnel during the daylight hours of a single day without you noticing.

Possible exception: domestic dogs. They don't hide all day like most wild predators usually do.

Even if you do need anti-dig measures, you could use an apron (lays on the ground outside the run) instead of digging the wire into the ground. Much quicker to install, and easier to pick up afterward.

Back
Top Bottom