I can’t handle losing my pets.

I am sorry for your loss. That's happened to me. My large hunting dogs busted out of their crates, destroyed my bedroom door, and the cages the chicks were in. I lost all my chicks. It really hurt. I had to ask my husband to take the dogs in another room until I calmed down. When I finally stopped crying I realized that's what the dogs have been bred to do. They have a strong prey drive. We had to set up things different. I needed to get super heavy duty crates for the dogs and I don't brood chicks in the house anymore. My dogs won't go after them if we are there but when we weren't I guess the instinct was just too strong. I love my dogs. It took me a little time to get over what happened but I didn't blame the dogs. I never thought the dogs would destroy the crates and get through a bedroom door.
Accidents can happen.

Remind me to choose a different human mommy if I should reincarnate into a chicken in my next life.

You haven't been doing this for very long, have you? I've had many kinds of animals in over 50 years of animal keeping, and trust me, it'll come - you thought you did everything possible to prevent it, but something awful happens, and in addition to the grief, you get to deal with the guilt trip of thinking you should have done more.

Last edited:
I had 22 chicks and 3 ducklings in cages in our restroom (warmest room in the house) with the door closed. While we were gone the dogs found a way in and found 25 squeaky toys. I only had them a short time but I am heartbroken. I get attached so quickly. The duckling has imprinted on me already. I can’t leave work but all I want to do is lay in bed and cry. How do you deal with your losses?
:hugs It is so hard to lose pets. I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this, but sometimes these things are just out of our control. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom