I can hatch more cockerels than anyone!

So, your saying the mods need to change you from "Overrun with Chickens" to "Master Roo Hatcher"
lau.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
LMAO. I have them in my pen alright but didn't include them in my stats.
smile.png

Out of the hatch those boys came from I only have 2 pullets. 2. Out of that big hatch!

Speckledhen holds the trophy for Roo hatching. LOL

Quote:
OMG that's a hoot. Made me snort!

I have pretty decent hatches for shipped eggs. Even the local eggs were 7 roos and 1 pullet.

Angie I think I'll be giving SpeckledHen a run for her money soon!
Maybe my duck hatching will be a better ratio of boys/girls

I was told by a elderly fella that if your eggs are nearer 100 degrees F, you will have pullets, if your temp is the higher end of 101F you will get more roos. I don't know if I believe it, although this guy belongs to the poultry asst up heah in Maine. I hatched hot , 19 days hatching, and I was blessed with 5 male and 4 girls. Then the outer rings were less temp and had no viable hatch. Very sad and incubator has been crushed and no longer able to be used.

The sex of the egg cannot change.... but I thought I read somewhere that pullet eggs do better at a slightly lower temp than roo eggs. Therefore, if your temps run higher, more roos will succsessfully make it to hatch, and if they run lower, less roos will make it to hatch.

Anyone???? Is this true?????

Out of our two hatches we had 2 roos, 1 pullet. Then 4 roos and 1 pullet. That's interesting about the temps, Guitartists
hmm.png

I'm in the club. I've only hatched once. 3 of 8 hatched. ALL ROOS. 100% rooster. Sigh....
I've got 8 eggs due to hatch Monday. Cross your fingers!

I realize none of this is fact, but its strange, s'pose that the eggs are a few days older for roos/pullets? Gosh, you'd think we'd all have better odds at pullets then roos...grrr. After the last batch, I plan on only purchasing my chicks...So someone try a experiment with higher temps, lower temps and older/newer eggs. I'd love to see from your experiences!

I doubt that slightly higher temperatures will kill off all of your developing pullets--unless your stock is very weak indeed.

Some of y'all may need to do the coin toss thing. Toss a coin a dozen times and record the results. Heads are pullets; tails are roos. Pretend it's a hatch. Then do it again, for another hatch. See how many of each you come up with. Chances are, it'll be lopsided one way or the other with such a small number of tosses. It's only going to be an exact 50/50 split average if you toss that coin hundreds of times.

Btw, I once hatched 20 roos out of 23. Now that's some bad luck
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom