1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I cannot find anything using the new search.

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by tazcat70, Jan 18, 2012.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Ok, that is not true, I can find LOTS. I can find so much information that I cannot find what I am looking for. I used the search function ALOT on the old BYC, however, now I get so many posts that I cannot get any useful information.

An example:

I was searching for threads on incubating grocery store eggs. I had no idea when it was first posted, but I figured that the post was currently active in recent weeks. Just about each different way I input the information I got 300,000 posts to go thru. I tried titles only, and full text. I tried several different ways to try and find what I was looking for. I couldn't.

This is not the first time that I have tried searching on the new format, I didn't find what I was looking for that time either.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can make it work?

2. redtailgal

redtailgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
  3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

4. tazcat70

X2 That explains a lot!

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We're always interested in search feedback. Here are a few questions that will help us when trying to improve our search system:

• Search Term
    • Results URL
    • What's wrong with these results?
    • What example URLs should be at the top?

6. tazcat70

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Basic Search: "Laree AND frizzle AND eggs": 1 result (your post in this thread). Basic Search: Laree and frizzle and eggs: 83 results Advanced Search: ): UN: LareePQG/ posts only: frizzle AND eggs 13 results Advanced Search: UN: LareePQG/full text/posts: frizzle and eggs: 1495 results Advanced Search: UN: LareePQG/entire site/full text: 71 results [​IMG]

8. tazcat70

Ahhhhh Ok, I thought that the + and AND were interchangeable....

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Taz, it depends on engine and implementation for the end user (kinda like bbcode - keep the end user from futzing with the Site code but allow some formatting options - differ by site). Just try different combinations:" ", AND, OR, NOT, *.*.

ed:clarity

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  10. tazcat70

Thanks Ivan! I appreciate it. I was beginning to get a complex. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by