I can't believe I'm building a chicken coop.

Pics

anatess

Chirping
Mar 9, 2017
So, in my last post on here, people said my chicken coop is too small for my flock. I have 5 silkies and 3 modern game bantams and my son came home with 4 fertilized eggs but only 2 hatched the other 2 met their demise - so I have 1 baby silkie and 1 baby modern game. I was so proud of myself for being able to identify them at birth - they were both the same color but one had 5 fingers! Anyway, I had to get a bigger coop and I scrounged around everywhere looking for bigger chicken coops and manoman... the cheapest one I found was $600! There was no way I could afford it so I went ahead to the great unknown of DIY coop building.

I've never built anything in my life! You should've heard me try to explain to the guy at Lowe's... "I need screws to connect 2x4's to build a frame."... "What are you framing?"... "A chicken coop"..."You'll need 2 1/2 or 3 inch deck screws."... "I'm not building a deck, I'm building a chicken coop..."

Anyway, I drew out a plan on paper and ended up throwing the thing away. After I put together the 4 sides, I kept on running into stupid mistakes... like, the coop sides was supposed to be 4 feet wide but it ended up to be 4 feet and 4 inches, so the siding board is too narrow, so I had to use deck boards to put up the side walls. Sigh.

So the only thing left to do is to put the door on - I figured out how to do that I just haven't done it yet. Put the flip-down door on the side for easy egg gathering - also figured out how to do that just haven't done it yet. Put the dishpan egg boxes. And the roof - haven't figured out how to do that yet... seems like there's some tricky mathematics involved in the thing.

So, I thought I'd post a picture to brag about at least accomplishing this much and to keep me motivated to keep trucking along until it is done done done.

chicken%20coop_zpsgygfdpc9.jpg

So, in my last post on here, people said my chicken coop is too small for my flock. I have 5 silkies and 3 modern game bantams and my son came home with 4 fertilized eggs but only 2 hatched the other 2 met their demise - so I have 1 baby silkie and 1 baby modern game. I was so proud of myself for being able to identify them at birth - they were both the same color but one had 5 fingers! Anyway, I had to get a bigger coop and I scrounged around everywhere looking for bigger chicken coops and manoman... the cheapest one I found was $600! There was no way I could afford it so I went ahead to the great unknown of DIY coop building.

I've never built anything in my life! You should've heard me try to explain to the guy at Lowe's... "I need screws to connect 2x4's to build a frame."... "What are you framing?"... "A chicken coop"..."You'll need 2 1/2 or 3 inch deck screws."... "I'm not building a deck, I'm building a chicken coop..."

Anyway, I drew out a plan on paper and ended up throwing the thing away. After I put together the 4 sides, I kept on running into stupid mistakes... like, the coop sides was supposed to be 4 feet wide but it ended up to be 4 feet and 4 inches, so the siding board is too narrow, so I had to use deck boards to put up the side walls. Sigh.

So the only thing left to do is to put the door on - I figured out how to do that I just haven't done it yet. Put the flip-down door on the side for easy egg gathering - also figured out how to do that just haven't done it yet. Put the dishpan egg boxes. And the roof - haven't figured out how to do that yet... seems like there's some tricky mathematics involved in the thing.

So, I thought I'd post a picture to brag about at least accomplishing this much and to keep me motivated to keep trucking along until it is done done done.

chicken%20coop_zpsgygfdpc9.jpg
And the thought some times runs through our mind----Is It worth all this???

I'm in the same boat can't believe I'm building a coop also never built a building. Your's looks good so far to me. I'm building a slant roof with plywood covered with white metal roofing. Will grab the grandsons to help me with the roof after baseball ends. After that building a shed for lawn equipment, mine was destroyed by wind in a storm.

FYI the men in stores laugh at me all the time, I'm used to it. I'm remodeling my house mostly by myself so I haunt the building supply stores. Now a coop, my friends and family also just shake their heads and laugh.

LOL, I have deck screws also, figured they were good for outside. My huge project right now is hauling 40 bags of dirt to level in 100+ heat index, bad air quality, and asthma. So one wheelbarrow, go in the ac to breathe then another. ;) Also pre-cutting and 1st coat of exterior paint on the frame in case of rain before we get the roof up in limited space in my 1 car garage. No way can this 67yo gramma lift 4x8's to the roof by herself between 4 15yo grandsons I think we can do it, depends if I can corral all of them or at least a couple at the same time.

This gramma is off to Menards again this am for more framing lumber and metal connectors. As well as the people in stores thinking I'm crazy, so do most of my friends, neighbors and family. Told 2 SIL's this week they could come help me build my coop and they just shook their heads and laughed.

Deck screws are the bomb!!.....no pilot holes needed(usually).

So is there a trick to using them? I'm swearing at them at the moment as they won't go in with my drill or my hammer. Start them with the hammer and they will screw in partway with difficulty. I've pounded them in the rest of the way, now I have 2 that I can't even pound in. I'm wishing I had my 30+ old electric drill but it was stolen, I think more powerful than this battery charged Ryobi . Taking a break cause my arm is worn out.

Back
Top Bottom