I can't believe it! My Norwegian Jaerhons have started laying!

Very nice chickens
woot.gif

Quote:
As for the name "Flame" I guess it's something Sand Hill has made up, but I know there are genetic throw-offs in the breed. Jærhøns are based on the original chickens in Norway which were very diverse in color, and naturally other varieties than the accepted will crop up. In fact in Norway some people are breeding what is known locally as "Grey Jærhøns" (could be the same?)
Light Grey
Dark Grey
However only Light Yellow and Dark Brown are considered correct colors for the breed.
Known throw-offs in Norway are grey (both light and dark), cuckoo and white-necked.

My guess is that Sand Hill has found that there are some throw-offs hatching, and that they have bred those of a particular color to each other and breed them as Flame. What has been found in Norway by those breeding Jærhøns is that the throw-offs will breed true when bred to others of similar color (meaning the offspring will look like its parents).

As for laying, I know that they will lay daily throughout winter WITH supplemental light, but I will have to get back to you if I find information about their laying WITHOUT
hu.gif

ETA: In fact all pics on the following link are of throw-offs ("non-accepted colors"):
Gallery

Last edited:
Quote:
So sorry, my Copy/Paste reflex must have had a hiccup and I made a mess of the links
he.gif
- should be fixed now
fl.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to the forum - I am CelticMoon there as well
wink.png
Most Norwegians do a passable English, so I think you'll find they'll be happy to translate what you don't understand
cool.png

Quote:
Oh, hello! Yes, I'll be sure to run any translation challenges past you! Great to know that you are here! I ran into a gal who has US/Ideal Jaerhons in Minnesota, but has visited Norway and saw some Jaerhons on a farm there and wished she could have brought home some eggs. She's the one who encouraged me to try them in my high mountain climate.

That relieves my mind to know about egg color of the varieties.
roll.png
Now I'll be wanting some of the Light Yellow so I can have white eggs for pasanke.

I really am enjoying the personalities of these birds. They are active/busy/happy birds, rarely prone to arguments with one another or the rest of my laying flock. They have a bit of a game bird look to them, but are not flighty like game birds usually are. The hens like to fly to my shoulder sometimes, they just seem to need to be active and to fly and are quite curious.

Quote:
They lay quite large eggs for their size, minimum weight 55 grams but they do lay upwards to at least 85 grams.

Quote:
They lay quite large eggs for their size, minimum weight 55 grams but they do lay upwards to at least 85 grams.

Well, their "maiden eggs" this week is all I have experience with, but they are big for hens 1st laying and some yesterday and today are quite good size. About the size of my Wyandot and Welsummer's eggs, but a little more bulbular (is that a word?) in shape. Rotundish? Is *that* a word?

Another surprise is that Zizele wants to brood today...she hid herself away with a single egg and put up a "Do Not Disturb" sign! Who knew?

Back
Top Bottom