I can't control my rooster and he is drawing blood

I had one that I put in solitary confinement for a while, after that he was fine (until a opposum got him). I had another one that went after my daughter, he got the boot and he kept his distance from me after that, but I caught him at night off the roost, posted him on here and gave him to a willing couple with the disclaimer that he had attacked my kid and to be aware of his mean streak. If they would not have taken him, he would have left the flock one way or another. There is no room for a mean rooster around here.

He is a lot tougher than you give him credit for. You are not going to injure him by giving him a side-foot soccer kick. You aren't drawing blood, you aren't breaking bones. At most you are giving him some minor ( and I mean MINOR) bruising which should remind his small brain that you are the boss. Mostly, you are damaging his ego and he needs it damaged:)
Personally, I catch mine ( gloves and sleeves help) and carry them under my arm and with my free hand give their necks a slight twist with just enough pressure that they know they are in trouble. It's the double-confinement that makes them think twice. When I just *hold* them, they still fight and attempt to get away. I've even had them try to bite my free hand ( hence the neck grab). I think of it as the equivalent of confining a criminal and jerking his hands into handcuffs behind the back. You wouldn't be gentle, but you wouldn't be mean either. You just get the job done with the amount of force it requires.
Remember the brain is small.
Also, the more often he wins, the more persistent he will be in trying to win. If he has intimidated you a few times already, it will encourage him to fight you even harder. Keep that in mind when you decide to settle this issue. You MUST win, regardless of what it takes.
The last time my rooster drew blood, I was on antibiotics for 10 days because it became infected even after cleaning. Do you want to chance that with yourself or your family?

Quote:
Fried chicken anyone?
lau.gif

Quote:
I feel that it is your responsibility to properly deal with your animal. Not only is it cruel to let him (a domesticated pen raised animal) out to slowly or brutally die alone in the 'wild' but you also run the risk of him injuring someone else. I don't mean to be rash and I understand that you don't want to hurt him yourself but there are other ways to deal with him.

Try putting him up for sale you never know you may find someone who wants a Beautiful roo to guard the hens. I wish you luck I know it is not an easy decision. Just please think of the animal and others.

Wow you're nice. I would never put up with either a hen or Roo biting me or attacking me. The natural instinct is to send em flying either by boot or if I manage to catch them they go quite a distance.
If it is only a little peck they get the beak tweak where I grab the beak and won't let go until they wiggle enough.

I never have to worry when I go into the roo pen (and there are a bunch in there) If one even looks at me sideways I walk at him and he flys off. If he doesn't fly off then I grab him and pick him up. If he is nice he gets petted, if he stuggles he gets to be carried until he stops.

They are allowed to come up and stand by me as long as they are nice.

You really aren't going to hurt them as long as you don't actually try to hurt them.

Unfortunately I just had to put one down today. It was not a good feeling but it had to be done. I wasn't worried about him attacking me because I would kick his butt each time. But when he went after a Girl Scout walking down the street that was the end.

I posted my story in "chicken behaviors" today.

Quote:
if you let him free range..he will still need shelter..otherwise its cruel to him...hes used to having safety and shelter...
Just follow your heart...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom