I can't control my rooster and he is drawing blood

I Had a rooster like this. He would attack me through the fence and I'd kick him back until he backed down. One day he was out free ranging and I went into another pen to feed some chickens and as I was trying to come out he attempted to come at me multiple times and wouldn't allow me out. My DH came up and gave him a swift kick. It didn't stop him even after multiple times of holding him and showing him who the boss was. His name was Ozzy (SLW) and he was gorgeous. I don't allow that behavior from any animal. I would suggest a stew pot and if you can't do it sell him on craigslist for someone elses stew pot. Good Luck

Is your rooster biting you at night? I notice for the last two nights that when I start into the coop after dark my rooster is biting my hand like an attack dog. He does not do this during the day. He is very friendly and lets me pet him all the time. Guess he just wants the ladies at night and no intruders. I've had to push him away from me several times before he gives up. I will pay more attention tomorrow, how he reacts. Good luck to both of us.
rant.gif

PS Just noticed where you live. We are only minutes from each other, I'm in Fenton.

Last edited:
I did give him a couple of kicks, but I don't want to hurt him. So no one thinks I should just let him out and free range and let nature take its cource? I can not just out right kill him or any animal, just not me.

I just read a thread the other day about this that had some very good link to other sites addressing this very problem. Someone cleared my history so I couldn't find it, but this is what the person suggested works:
1. Be the top 'Rooster' in the chicken yard by dominating the roo. To achieve this you have to be bigger and badder than he is. This does not mean you have to whoop up on him, but take charge. You are bigger, use YOUR wings (aka arms) and go toward him and scare him away. Do not let him eat or drink until YOU say it is okay. Ladies first, then let him if he behaves. Let him know with NO DOUBT that YOU rule the roost, not him.
2. Pick him up and find a place to set him down that is waist high. If he struggles as you let him down, pick him back up again about face level to you. Slowly lower him until he can be set down without struggling or flapping or anything. If he can do this, apparently, you are doing well.
3. If you can't get close enough to him to do #2, use water and spray him. I hear super soakers are very good for this.

I wish I could just find the site and paste it in, but I don't know where it is. I do know the two roos she was telling about were Zeus and Thor. Zeus was a spoiled and nasty boy, and this owner had him so straightened out that he isn't even allowed to mount a hen in her presence. Pretty niffy idea for establishing who is in charge.

I hope this helps. One thing I do know, animals can smell fear, and if you are not willing to take the upper hand and be firm, then you can foget rehabilitating this little man.

Good luck.

Quote:
Then I think you need to find someone who can.You should be able to enjoy your chickens.I adore my chickens too, but sometimes you need to draw the line.Just letting him range and letting nature take it's course is not a good idea.

Don't worry about hurting your roo. He is hurting you much more than you could hurt him. Roosters are tough! Kick him across the coop, have a tantrum, let him know you are the boss. He has no excuse to flog you. I've learned a lot about how tough I am once I started owning roosters. Good luck, and if nothing else, chicken is great for dinner.

Some things you may want to try are 1. Hold him by his legs. Let him flap his wings and as soon as he's done flip him back over on his stomach so he is not upside down for too long. OR 2. Pinch his neck (like you would the scruff of a cat or dog) and pin him to the ground. Just don't choke him.

I had one that I put in solitary confinement for a while, after that he was fine (until a opposum got him). I had another one that went after my daughter, he got the boot and he kept his distance from me after that, but I caught him at night off the roost, posted him on here and gave him to a willing couple with the disclaimer that he had attacked my kid and to be aware of his mean streak. If they would not have taken him, he would have left the flock one way or another. There is no room for a mean rooster around here.

Back
Top Bottom