I can't decide which incubator to use.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Savannah Poultry, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Okay so, I have two incubators. One homemade one and one hovabator genesis. They both stay at good reliable temperature and are both forced air. My problem is that I have eggs in both of them. The ones in the genesis are on day 4, and the ones in the Homemade incubator will supposed to be going into lockdown tomorrow. In my homemade incubator I've never actually used it to hatch. Its always just been used when I needed extra space for a few days during incubation. But i've been having bad hatch rates due to who knows what in my genesis. (referencing my last bad hatch rate post.) In order to get the humidity high enough in my homeade incubator i have to close off one out of the two vent holes in the top. I don't want to do this for fear of oxygen problems. I could always switch the eggs in the other incubator and then hatch in my genesis but then again I haven't been gooding hatch rates in there either. What do ya'll think? I know its kind of a mess...

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

can't you just add some dishes of water with sponges in them to the homemade incubator to raise your humidity?

3. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Quote:normally with one tray it is 40% I added two more and it only went up to 47

4. yinepu

Quote:normally with one tray it is 40% I added two more and it only went up to 47

well.. what you need to raise the humidity is surface area.. is there any way you can stand sponges upright?.. or add some wet wash cloths to spread out the surface area?

5. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    it worked!

6. yinepu

Quote:[​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Quote:Thanks!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    One of my incubators is an LG which are hard to control humidity. Here is what I use.
    [​IMG]

10. Savannah Poultry

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Quote:Oh cool! and because of the capillary property of water it keeps the sponge saturated! Good thinking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by