I cant find my Tom Turkey

Mr Oviraptor

Songster
Dec 9, 2021
So uhhh I think my Tom is gone, He has been free range for a few days with my Hen, And hes always came back to the coop, But now I can't find him anywhere and its past dark, I looked in every tree I could, Tho I live in the middle of the woods, Should I be scared that hes gone forever?, He's a Bourbon Red, My Hen is still in the coop tho

What type of predators do you have?
Free ranging poultry in the woods is full of hazards, I know, I live in the woods too. I understand that turkeys don't free range well since they like to wander.
Hopefully he'll be back.

Owls, Possums, Coons, Hawks, Snakes, Thats all that ever comes close to the house, Their is Coyotes and Bobcats to but they stay away pretty well
What type of predators do you have?
Free ranging poultry in the woods is full of hazards, I know, I live in the woods too. I understand that turkeys don't free range well since they like to wander.
Hopefully he'll be back

No feathers anywhere, No blood, Nothing, I looked over the entire yard, I think he must of roosted in a tree out of sight
I had a similar thing happen several years ago with a hen that was missing one night. I looked up in all the trees and as much as I could around our 4 acres. Didn’t see any piles of feathers so I still had some hope. Looked all around again in the morning.

The difference between yours and my situation is that I live near a subdivision. I drove all around in there but saw no sign of any turkey. Then I got a text from my neighbor that someone had posted a found turkey on their Nextdoor app. They had found her the day before and animal control had taken her to a bird of prey rehabber. I was able to call the rehabber and get my turkey back! She was only gone one night.

I’m glad your tom came back. I know what it’s like to search and search and find nothing. To shine the flashlight up into all the tree branches. To be worried that you will find a carcass and feathers around the next bend.

Back
Top Bottom