I can't get my chicken out of a neighbor's tree.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PBlanck, Oct 8, 2012.

1. PBlanck

PBlanck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    We had just brought our chickens home from our lake place to our house in the heart of Kansas City, but before we could get them all in the new coop one of them ran/flew away. This particular hen is great at flying. A week went by and I had just about given up hope of finding her when our homes association sent out an e-mail asking if anybody knew anything about a chicken loose in the neighborhood.

She is residing in the backyard of two houses about a block from us. They have lots of foliage and some really large trees. Anytime the chicken senses danger she flies up into the tree. She sleeps in the tree.

Does anybody have any suggestion on how we can get her out of the tree? We can never get close to her while she is on the ground as she will quickly take flight.

Thoughts?

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried treating her out of the tree? (showing her something yummy, like her favorite treat)? I would start there first, and just patiently sit at the ground, put the scrumptious morsel on the ground and 'tap' at it with your pointer finger.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Here are some ideas for you.

Go early in the morning - when she will be hungry. Go near her on you own - as too many people will scare her.

Take another chicken and have it in a locked cage. Put it on the floor near the tree. Seeing the other bird will relax her and attract her to it - they feel safer in groups.

Then have an other cage next to the other one, with the door open and a pot of her favourite treats and seeds inside in clear view. Call to her (if she is used to your voice).

Then wait a few steps away from the cage. She should come down and go in and then you can quickly shut the door.

If you don't have 2 cages, you can use a medium sized basket, with a stick holding up one end of the basket. The pull the string when she it inside. Make sure the basket is a heavy one so she can now panic and fly up, knocking it over.

OR , if she roosts low down in the tree, you can catch her at night with a large net.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by