I can't stand it - roo?

llnmaw

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Spokane, WA
It's killing me trying to guess. I promised myself I'd wait until the chick was 'old enough to post this....but whatever.

Barred Rock.

80637_dsc00186.jpg

80637_dsc00174.jpg

80637_dsc00175.jpg

I have to guess on the age, we picked this little one up on 2/22 and it was bigger/more feathered than our BO's that were less than 24 hours old. Maybe 4-5 days older?

The comb is hard to get a good shot of. Without the flash I cannot get a good clear pic. The comb is definitely red looking in person.

Last edited:
Yes, BOY! Definitely. I could have sexed it at hatch--that's what I love about BRs, ease of sexing immediately. A combination of traits tells the tail: head spot size/regularity or lack of, lighter down color, wider white bars, and little or no black wash down the leg fronts.

In the future, you can go by this article to sex BRs, Dominiques or Cuckoo Marans:

http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Sexing_Dominique_chicks.html

He is handsome and my favorite and I'm beyond sad that he has to go. I guess I should suck it up and try to get rid of him sooner rather than later eh? I'm not certain I'll be able to keep him long enough to eat him...plus that's not he was bought for in my mind.

I knew he was a he.
sad.png

Thanks for confirming.

~L.

Wow.. I have three that were hatched on the 23 of Feb... and they have such a little comb compared to that.. I am beginning to hope they may be girls!!

Sorry yours is a roo
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom