I can't tell does this look like a quitter?

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
This is my first hatch (pekin ducks) and I'm on day 8 (midnight is day 9) and I candled. I can't tell for sure if this is a quitter or not. I definately don't want an eggsplosion... I didn't remove it because i am no totally sure as I do see the veining but I also see like a blood circle.... The black spot in the pic isn't that big... Every time I took a pic it came out that big but it is the same size as all the others, that eye thing.......

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

Also is this a porous egg? Or maybe just from the outside of the shell? This is the outside of the shell with the light on:

IMG_0663.jpg

And this is the same egg in the same position being candled:

IMG_0662.jpg

I dont hatch duck eggs, but it looks to be ok, from a chicken egg point of view
tongue.png
(does that make sense??? ) Looks like it has the right amount of veining and the eye spot looks good for the days of development. I wouldnt toss it myself. You shouldnt have to worry too much about it exploding unless there has been a breach in your bio-security, like really dirty eggs in the bator, or you didnt sanitize it between hatchings. I would give it at least 5 more days so you can look for movement.

The last egg looks a bit porous, but not too bad. I've had lots of porous chicken eggs hatch, but its not really reccomended. I fing it harder sometimes to candle porous eggs, it can be hard to tell if you are seeing veins or just the shell composition. If its not an absolutley precious egg, I would probably toss it, but if you want to give it a shot, its worth a try. If you can, keep it a bit away from other eggs in the bator, since porous eggs are more prone to infection and explosion, you dont want a possible mishap to damage the other good eggs.

Good luck and I hope you keep us posted on the egg development!

I have a mini advance that only holds seven eggs so I usually toss any porous ones before I start incubating. As far as the other egg it looks ok to me. When I have eggs that look a little off compared to the others I do a sniff test and if it smells fine I put it back in and recandle in a few days.

I had a porous egg, and didnt see anything in it the whole time. I was certain it was just an egg and wrote a big cross on it but my 9 year old son wouldnt let me toss it out.

Chicks 6 days old now
big_smile.png

Thanks for the help and info. I think I WILL keep the porous egg for a little bit because I can see veining in it so I would feel horrible if I threw it out without giving it a shot.......

Some years back I traveled a distance & paid alot for Cuckoo Marans hatching eggs. I had just bought my first incubator. The dark color of the eggs made it impossible for me to candle them. I was convinced that they were not good & chucked them when they didn't hatch at 21 days. What a mistake......................They had chicks in most of them. I was devastated. Since then I keep almost everything & read any information I can from others that are hatching eggs. Turns out others have had eggs all put in together that hatch up to a week apart. I had never imagined. I always keep my eggs going past their hatch date now. I have had eggs explode which means I have to take everything apart & clean it & put it back together but I have had great hatching success too. There is so much to learn & experience is my best teacher.

Back
Top Bottom