I can't tell if my rooster is attacking or...?

swissmiss78

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2015
We have a beautiful Australorp Rooster on our property. He is the only rooster to 8 hens (soon to be an additional dozen if all of our chicks make it!). He takes VERY good care of his ladies and I don't think we could find a better rooster for our flock.

Recently, he has decided to rush at me when he sees me carrying the famous 'scratch cup', which is what I feed them treats out of in the morning and then again at night. He has never full on attacked me but I am sure if I didn't get big and yell at him, he would attack my legs. Once or twice he has run at me when I don't have food in my hands... he is easily swayed from attacking me if I simply face him and say no. But then if I turn my back to him again, he will rush me again, until I face him. This can go on and on my entire walk to the coop!

I have read post after post on this site - and took the advice of some in picking him up when he does this and carting him around with me for 20 or 30 minutes. When I take the time to do this, he turns back into his ol' sweet self for several days - but then slowly progresses back into the roo that will charge at my legs. I don't get it. Doesn't he know I'm the boss by now?

I am afraid some will say it is time to make chicken stew - but I honestly love this guy and mostly he is very sweet to me (and ALWAYS, ALWAYS sweet to his ladies and the chicks!) so I don't want to give up in him. However, I don't want to spend hours every week trying to reteach him that I am the head cheese on the farm!

Any advice?

My rooster does the same thing as this. He'll charge at my feet every once in a while. He's been doing this for a while, but has never attacked me and never hurts the hens. I wouldn't worry, but maybe someone with more experience could answer.

Thanks for your reply. At least I'm not alone! =D

I'll be curious to hear what more experienced chicken people than myself have to say about this!

Welcome! I've had chickens and roosters for over twenty years, and have seen all sorts of male behaviors. Some will be jerks from as early as eight weeks of age, and some will decide to attack humans at age one to three. I'd worry about this one; raise some cockrels this year, and find a replacement or two. Watching out for attacks from the rear is NOT fun, and if children or friends are involved, really not a good idea. Mary

Well, this morning he decided he wanted to run after my kids as they were walking to the bus. So that's that. Mess with my kiddos and you're outta here! Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, nothing tastes as good as a rooster who went after the kiddos......that's so over the line. Sorry it came to that, but you made the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom