I can't understand what happened to my hen...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nursehev35, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Nursehev35

Nursehev35 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    Lancaster, PA
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to keeping chickens (just a few months now). We just lost one of our EE, Heidi, yesterday.
    It started a few weeks ago when we noticed she had a rattle and a watery, bubbly eye. At the advice of individuals on this site, we gave her Tylan orally. She seemed to get better, her eye was still red, but not bubbly and she kept it open more. Then after a week we noticed she was keeping the eye closed again with the same red watery problem. We quarantined her and took her to the vet, who said it wasn't contagious and she just had an eye infection. She gave us tobramycin eye drops with instructions to give twice a day for 7-10 days. Her eye looked better, still a little red. A few days ago I noticed that her eye was swollen shut again. We talked about giving her the drops again, or taking her to the vet again. We weren't overly concerned because she was eating & drinking. I was only concerned because she seemed a little off balance.
    Yesterday my husband went to check on them and found Heidi lying on the floor of the coup gasping and what seemed like she was paralyzed on one side. When he picked her up her head flopped like her neck was broken.
    We have gotten all of our girls from a local farmer and they vaccinated them for Marecks. We keep up with them on Facebook and they have had no other problems with chickens they have sold.
    We thought since she couldn't see out of one eye she might have lost her balance and fell? No other chicken is showing signs of being ill.
    This has torn my husband and myself up because she was our favorite :(
    Has anyone seen anything similar in your experiences?
    Thank you,
    Heather

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I am sorry for your trial, tribulation and loss of your pet.
    You may consider having her remains sent for necropsy to ascertain exactly what happened to her and if they concur with your vet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by