I can't wait anymore!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmyWho, Oct 26, 2013.

1. AmyWho

AmyWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Portland, OR
    All 4 of my chickens started to molt within a week of each other.

They started dropping feathers early in September. I've got (we think) a RIR, a Red Sex Link, a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and a Plymouth Rock Barred.
    I haven't added additional light. I've heard they will often still lay at least an egg or more a week without. I don't mind the reduced amount if it's easier on their bodies.

How much longer do y'all think I have to wait for this molting season to subside? I'd like an egg once in a while, at least. :)

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The length of a molt varies a lot, but I've read the average is two months. Supplementing with protein helps them recover, in case you hadn't read that.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The molting will probably take a few months longer. Two of my birds started molting in early September too, and they are still molting. I'm not expecting eggs from them for at least another two months.

4. AmyWho

AmyWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I feed them worms from my vermicompost bin daily. They free range on a half acre all day, and I'm sure have plenty of access to bugs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by