I caught a raccoon & another & another ***GRAPHIC PICS*** pic heavy

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by keirys, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jcs honey bees

Jcs honey bees Hatching

Jun 6, 2013
    Weatherford, Tx
    I was looking at adding a layer of hardware cloth on top of the chicken wire today. I have not been keeping them out at night since they are only 2 weeks old. I just lost track of time watching a movie with the wife and when I went out to check the coons had already done their damage. I should not need more than 2 feet of height on the hard ware cloth correct?

2. keirys

keirys Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Mid Michigan

sorry to hear about that..they are comming out early this time of year beacuse they have young to feed.

3. keirys

keirys Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Mid Michigan
    I would put hardware cloth on every opening

4. keirys

keirys Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Mid Michigan

Its odd.because the law states you cant relocate but yet animal contol can. Hopefully they are just saying that but destroy them anyway.

1 person likes this.
  5. I agree and hope the same. They should know to do the responsible thing. It'swro g for the animals as well as the people that may live in the area.

6. BlueMouse

BlueMouse Songster

Mar 5, 2013
    Esperance NY
    can you catch a fox in one of these traps?? or do they just work for coons? I figure if you catch a cat? I've got a fox problem and I'm trying to figure out how to get him without getting local dogs/cats/other wildlife.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    In the Duke's Dog Proof Coon traps? I doubt it. I don't think their 'hands' are dexterous enough like a coons are.

ETA: 'Dog Proof Coon'

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  8. BlueMouse

BlueMouse Songster

Mar 5, 2013
    Esperance NY
    I thought not, but figured I'd rather ask a dumb question than miss a possible solution.

9. PeacockMan

PeacockMan Chirping

Jan 14, 2012
    Stretch a hot wire 6 to 8 inches off the ground. Get a good fence charger that sends out 1 joule. These are also known as a 25 mile fence. Make sure you do the research and install the hotwire properly. Hot wires are like septic lines. Few people put them in properly. That is why they often give trouble. When you get the hot wire up, every coon, skunk and possum will leave and never come back. And, dogs for sure do not like them either. Properly hot wires are maintenance free and operate at a very low cost of only a couple dollars per month.

1 person likes this.
  10. mpguay

mpguay Songster

Apr 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: