I caught a raccoon & another & another ***GRAPHIC PICS*** pic heavy

keirys

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
Mid Michigan
We live in the city 1 week ago our 2 silkies got ripped out of the chicken coop by a raccoon. I bought a set of Dukes dog proof trap & I love this trap. Gonna go start digging a bigger hole!

2 hours after we set the traps we got one

Dh reset the trap the next morning...

Huge boar coon

sooo cute yet so dead. I dont belive in relocation

I know its hard to see but I see 3 more raccoons its 9PM and still light out. I went to lock my chickens up and this is what I saw

cannot discharge fire arm in the city

caught 2 more this morning
barnie.gif
. The only thing I cannot do is remove it from the trap yuck..

The little girl in blue is our future resident preditor dispatcher... If she's gonna keep chickens she better learn to protect her flock!!!!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with catching and killing predators. I have never 'enjoyed' it - simply regarded it as a responsibility.

LOL! Cat can watch! Too funny! I think this is a first for threads that didn't get derailed by someone with more delicate sensibilities.

I think we all need to keep an open mind to the many ways folks have to protect their poultry. I like to think we're no different than the cattle farmer who needs to protect his livelihood. Sure, some of us may just be hobbyists, but we all have invested a certain amount of $$$, time & effort to enjoy it. Some of us free range because its healthier (if preds don't get them, that is. At least they die free) & can't afford to fence off a substantial amount of property. Trapping/hunting works for us & many others. I started out disliking any firearm, but now I'm comfortable with most firearms of various calibres. I need these to get the job done & done well. I can't stand the thought of any animal suffering. I AM an animal lover, but I have a different perspective on nature since getting chickens. I love my chickens more than a chicken-eating fox or coon or what-have-you! That being said, I don't begrudge folks who pen their birds either. It's a choice that they can live with. If they have Fort Knox, they don't have to worry about having to deal with preds. Good for them! I think we can all agree, that depending on one's own circumstances, there are different ways of raising poultry. So in case someone sensitive comes to this thread, please, can't we all just get along? I don't poo-poo your way, don't poo-poo mine please.

Like you, peepinator, I used to feed baby coons & an 'orphaned' fawn as a favor to an UNLICENSED wildlife rehabilitator (not saying you're one, just relating my personal experience here) who used to live here. Yeah, I thought it was great! I had a fawn & 3 baby coons following me on my pasture. I felt like a character from a Disney movie. It was then I realized something was off. This was NOT what nature intended. This unlicensed rehabber was caring for animals that didn't need it. I think it is our selfishness to bring these animals closer to us. We do them a great disservice in doing so. Wild animals NEED that fear of humans to survive. By feeding them, you make them bolder & quite possibly a danger/problem to someone else. They will equate all humans as a source for food & may gravitate less to natural foraging. This is most unhealthy, IMO. BTW, fawn was shot dead the first day of hunting season. She didn't stand a chance because she was tamed. No fear of humans can equal death for these creatures. I've done my research & learned to leave wild animals alone, (they have my 15 acres of safe woods & beyond until the fall deer hunting season) or take out the ones on my cleared 3 acres, that mean to do harm to my poultry.

So, do what you want - I'm just trying to educate/open some eyes here. Best for all to leave nature unspoiled. My 2 cents.

I understand our need to protect the flock, but a more humane approach would be to build and maintain a safe coop for our chickens. Altering the world around our coop would be a never ending task. The Raccoon and other predators are just doing their job and what comes naturally. The Universe has a balance we cannot alter what is around us but we can take control and fix our inability to keep our flock safe. Build a predator proof coop and allow nature to be <3 Just sayin'. Off to put locks on the coop doors and wire over the windows better safe than sorry!
My coop is like fort knox. Nothin' is getting in there. That being said, lemme tell ya a little somethin' about coons. They have hands kinda like ours. Explain to me how this coon managed to get a 5 gallon bucket snap on lid OFF. Even I have a hard time and my hands and fingers hurt after I get it off. This one did just that. not once, not twice, but 5 nights in a row. So if Ninja Raccoon could manage this, I would not consider it far fetched that he would have, not could have, found a way into my coop.

By eradicating Ninja Raccoon, I did not upset the balance of the universe. What I did do, though, is prevent Ninja Raccoon from killing my chickens, attacking and possibly killing my two baby goats, prevented him from spreading disease to my dog, my cats, my livestock, and my human family, and giving him a quick and HUMANE death. That shot to the head killed him INSTANTLY.

Did you happen to read the sticky for this part of the forum?
"Predators and Pests Forum - Please read here first."

Probably not, or you wouldn't have posted your comment here on this thread. No worries, though...I won't make you read it. I'll just highlight some of it as it pertains here, to this part of the forum, and to this thread:

*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*If you wish to suggest an alternate non lethal means of control, please share it in a non judgmental way that is a viable solution and not merely complaining about who was here first etc, IF it is directly related to the OP's request for assistance. If a non lethal alternative is offered, please be appreciative and remember that there are many ways and means and flaming a member for suggesting such an alternative will not be tolerated.

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

For instance, Trapping..this is a legal defense and it is not open for debate whether you prefer this method or not. This forum is designed as an aid to those who are having predator problems. It is not a debate forum on ethics.

Congrats!! I've read alot of good things about those duke traps. Much better for coons than live traps.
If you're gonna kill it, you gotta handle the body, unless you can get someone else to do it.
Not sure how you'd dispose of the corpse in the city, I'm lucky as I can just dump it out in the woods to feed something else.

My dh takes care of the corpse removal. He buries them, I just can't believe how many we've caught. I thought we were gonna just catch one not the entire family....

Back
Top Bottom