I caught a raccoon & another & another ***GRAPHIC PICS*** pic heavy

Well, If I didn't live in the city limits and have nothing better to do, I'd probalby sit in a corner of my property and hunt them too! Can you come here Redneck Farmer and hunt mine, too? (just don't get the cat!!)
wink.png

LOL! Cat can watch! Too funny! I think this is a first for threads that didn't get derailed by someone with more delicate sensibilities.

I think we all need to keep an open mind to the many ways folks have to protect their poultry. I like to think we're no different than the cattle farmer who needs to protect his livelihood. Sure, some of us may just be hobbyists, but we all have invested a certain amount of $$$, time & effort to enjoy it. Some of us free range because its healthier (if preds don't get them, that is. At least they die free) & can't afford to fence off a substantial amount of property. Trapping/hunting works for us & many others. I started out disliking any firearm, but now I'm comfortable with most firearms of various calibres. I need these to get the job done & done well. I can't stand the thought of any animal suffering. I AM an animal lover, but I have a different perspective on nature since getting chickens. I love my chickens more than a chicken-eating fox or coon or what-have-you! That being said, I don't begrudge folks who pen their birds either. It's a choice that they can live with. If they have Fort Knox, they don't have to worry about having to deal with preds. Good for them! I think we can all agree, that depending on one's own circumstances, there are different ways of raising poultry. So in case someone sensitive comes to this thread, please, can't we all just get along? I don't poo-poo your way, don't poo-poo mine please.

Well said Shellz. We all have different ways to handle our chickens and predators.

I have 62 chickens and am new to this. My chickens are in a very large coop that is part of a barn and they have a huge outside run that is built to keep predators out. Even with all the protections in place I am still very wary of predators because I live in the middle of a state land and have all sorts of unsavory animals that have been eyeballing my chicks. For now the chickens stay in the run during the day and coop at night but they are wanting to free range and I can't let that happen until I take care of the predator problem. I had felt pretty safe until last week when I found 2 of them trying to break into the barn to get at the chicks. I walked up on one and he stood his ground briefly and then tried to get inside the barn even though I was standing 3 feet away. Needless to say the world is short 2 more raccoons and I don't feel the least bit bad about having done it. I am an animal person and I will protect my chickens just like I would my dog and cats and if that means getting rid of raccoons or any other predators I will do it.

This thread has been very helpful for me because I am new at this but I have picked up some Duke traps and a blowgun and I've also learned that I'm not crazy for wanting to keep my chicks safe. With any luck I can get the predators under control and let the chicks free range because I know they love it.

LOL! Cat can watch! Too funny! I think this is a first for threads that didn't get derailed by someone with more delicate sensibilities.

I think we all need to keep an open mind to the many ways folks have to protect their poultry. I like to think we're no different than the cattle farmer who needs to protect his livelihood. Sure, some of us may just be hobbyists, but we all have invested a certain amount of $$$, time & effort to enjoy it. Some of us free range because its healthier (if preds don't get them, that is. At least they die free) & can't afford to fence off a substantial amount of property. Trapping/hunting works for us & many others. I started out disliking any firearm, but now I'm comfortable with most firearms of various calibres. I need these to get the job done & done well. I can't stand the thought of any animal suffering. I AM an animal lover, but I have a different perspective on nature since getting chickens. I love my chickens more than a chicken-eating fox or coon or what-have-you! That being said, I don't begrudge folks who pen their birds either. It's a choice that they can live with. If they have Fort Knox, they don't have to worry about having to deal with preds. Good for them! I think we can all agree, that depending on one's own circumstances, there are different ways of raising poultry. So in case someone sensitive comes to this thread, please, can't we all just get along? I don't poo-poo your way, don't poo-poo mine please..

X2!!!!

Fort Knox!! Hahahahahah perfect! I believe my coop is a Fort Knox but my birds can free range when I'm there( because here in FL in the swamp there's 174739892 different predators that would kill them if I'm not there)

yes, I'm enjoying this thread myself. I am not a gun owner (yet) - but my father in law, who lives on the property with us, is... and he's very good with his .22. He's getting up there in age, though, so I think I need him to teach me a thing or two. Thought about "professional" lessons, as I've never really shot a gun. Ok, when I was about 17 someone took me out to shoot some kind of long barreled handgun and it kicked back so hard I decided then and there that guns weren't for me. Well, I have grown up and purchase a small parcel of land and have learned that I need to know how to properly and quickly kill these predators. Opinions? Take a "real" class, or let my father in law take me to a range and teach me? Obviously the FIL option is cheaper.. but I want "proper" training... input welcome.

I caught a possum last night.. guess he'll probably meet the same fate.. not sure if they are as dangerous to my chickens, but he walked in for some marshmallows, so...

X2!!!!

Fort Knox!! Hahahahahah perfect! I believe my coop is a Fort Knox but my birds can free range when I'm there( because here in FL in the swamp there's 174739892 different predators that would kill them if I'm not there)
Ha, ha! Ah yeah, tell me about it! I have just about every kind of terrain here in miniature form. A marsh, a swamp, creek, 2 ponds, 3 acres cleared pasture & 15 acres of mixed soft/hardwoods forest. It attracts just about everything, so I sure do understand. With a high predator load in the area, lethal force is sometimes necessary.

Back
Top Bottom