Rabid raccoon

You really shouldn't relocate animals. Again it's nit fair to the animal who now is lost and will likely go hungry or killed by the one currently holding that territory, and it definitely isn't fair now that you've passed the problem on to other people
Well I just want to point out how you are telling me to kill it or it will be killed by a different raccoon or person!?!

Because of the suspicion of rabies, it should not have been relocated, despite it starting to act fine. With rabies, symptoms don't always show right away. You should have contacted a game warden about it. For further issues and/or concerns concerning raccoons, please contact your local game warden. They will tell you what to do, and if you are going to continue relocating the raccoons, a game warden might know of the best place for relocation. :)

Well I just want to point out how you are telling me to kill it or it will be killed by a different raccoon or person!?!
That's exactly what I'm telling you. We had raccoons out here that killed a lot of birds, and they were almost almost certainly from a female that was relocated out 'in the middle of nowhere', aka, a rural property. We constantly have people out here 'relocating',, aka dumping animals because it's not a city, so surely there aren't people living out here

And your screen name is 'Bird of Prey'?

You just took your problem and gave it to somebody else.
If it's an extremely aggressive raccoon, why didn't you just call animal control?
We did they said they wouldn’t come because it was being a nuisance they said it had to be hurting someone or be a danger to us for them to come

We did they said they wouldn’t come because it was being a nuisance they said it had to be hurting someone or be a danger to us for them to come
Did you tell them you suspected it might have rabies?

You need to work out a better plan if you're going to continue to trap. I don't like to kill the wildlife either, but if they come up around the house and threaten the health and safety of your animals and family it really is best to just put them down.
They've become too habituated to humans and now that they've been trapped and released they're likely trap wise as well.

Update no rabies just a weirdo didn’t have the heart to kill it (I can’t do blood lol) it is relocated to a remote forest where there aren’t a lot of people. Thank you for the advice
Did you check the gender?

In case it was a female her offspring is now left to starve to death, which is just another reason why trapping and relocating wild animals is a bad idea, especially in spring/early summer during breeding season.

So we have had some raccoons around our chicken coop we set some traps and successfully relocated some but one the we caught rolled down two rocky hills in our backyard and is moving around like it’s crazy it is shaking there is no foam at the mouth but clearly something is wrong with it
We would preferably not kill it as we have a lot of little kids who would have to watch any advice
I recommend getting a .22 rifle. They are readily available, inexpensive, bullets are inexpensive, and easy to handle. The .22 has little kickback and has a “pop” sound, rather than a big bang. If you are worried about your kids, you can use a trigger lock, you can keep it unloaded and bullets in another cabinet. It may fit into the top of a rolling tool cabinet bc .22 rifles aren’t really that big. But, yes, if you trap you need to kill the animal that is causing you issues, not relocate it. Once you kill it, you can bury it, or you can bag it and put it into the trash (check local rules, but usually one dead animal is fine to put in trash - not sure though bc rules vary place to place).

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom