Rabid raccoon

I recommend getting a .22 rifle. They are readily available, inexpensive, bullets are inexpensive, and easy to handle. The .22 has little kickback and has a “pop” sound, rather than a big bang. If you are worried about your kids, you can use a trigger lock, you can keep it unloaded and bullets in another cabinet. It may fit into the top of a rolling tool cabinet bc .22 rifles aren’t really that big. But, yes, if you trap you need to kill the animal that is causing you issues, not relocate it. Once you kill it, you can bury it, or you can bag it and put it into the trash (check local rules, but usually one dead animal is fine to put in trash - not sure though bc rules vary place to place).

Good luck.
I have a bit of an agreement with my neighbor. If I dig the hole, he'll do the dispatch. It's good to be on good terms with your neighbors.

So we have had some raccoons around our chicken coop we set some traps and successfully relocated some but one the we caught rolled down two rocky hills in our backyard and is moving around like it’s crazy it is shaking there is no foam at the mouth but clearly something is wrong with it
We would preferably not kill it as we have a lot of little kids who would have to watch any advice
I personally will always shoot any sick looking raccoons or possums then bury sprinkled with lime and spray the area where killed and where buried with soapy clorox water, also clean any tools that may have touched the carcass or blood. Between the lime and clorox it keeps any other animals from wanting to dig up the carcass. We have a lot of both, skunks too, around and I don't shoot them unless necessary = if they are sick looking or messing around my coop/run. I also take the extra steps to cover chickens food at night and keep things clean around to coop/run to not draw them in. You can't leave a sick raccoon or possum around, it's just not safe, especially if there are kids around playing. It's unpleasant but it's got to be done.

Back
Top Bottom