I caved. I put a heat lamp in the coop...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cochicks, Feb 1, 2011.

1. cochicks

cochicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I was going to make them bear it, but it is SOOOO cold out. I'm in CO, and it's -15 here (-40 with windchill). Normally I would think they'd be fine, but we had temps in the upper 60's just three days ago. I was afraid that an 80 degree drop in temperature over such a short time span would be a problem. I wasn't really worried about my older birds, but I have two 14 week old BOs in there too and the older girls don't cuddle with them yet. They're little still! I'll take the lamp out as soon as it gets above freezing again during the day. Poor babies!

I feel like I've gone against my chicken morals... [​IMG]

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
  3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Bask with me in the warmth of the dark side cochicks. Bwahaha.

4. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Me, too, Cochicks! I have a double walled and insulated coop that usually stays reasonable but OMG is it cold out there tonight! I covered my high and narrow ventilation ducts and put a little electric space heater in the coop - sitting on the counter of the feed compartment of my coop which is separated from the "chicken side" by a screen, with the heater facing the roosts. All my hens are huddled on that end of the roost - they usually spread out pretty evenly. I even put the horses in and closed up the barn for maybe the first time in 15 years. The dark side, indeed!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My chickens get a 100 watt bulb when it ventures down to freezing. In all the coops. Nasty electric bill, but I sleep at night. Do whatever makes you comfortable!!!

6. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    Me too! i put a 250 w red heat lamp in the coop, screwed it to the wall so it can't fall. I live in mid NH and it has been cold. I only put it on when the night temps get below 5 degrees. I know most say don't, but not sure why they need to suffer, the lamp just takes the sting out of the air, it is still very cold with the lamp on, but it does help a little. I mean they are already spoiled little divas, trust me. I am a chicken slave and I really enjoy it!

7. abqferreira

abqferreira Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    We did, too. -3 tonight in Albuquerque, with a wind chill of -9...we set up a heat lamp and the chickens sure seemed appreciative!

8. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I have a 250w red heat lamp in there as well. I keep it on until about 10pm and once they are settled in, it goes off. I only leave it on if it gets down to where I can't sleep becuz I'm worrying about them [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    Thank god I am not the only, sorry to say and I say it with kindness, crazy lady who can't sleep worring about her hens freezing their little butts off. haha

10. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    BRRRRR It's cold! I put up a heat lamp too! I will probably go out there one more time tonight to check on the temp in there. [​IMG] There's nothing else I can do for them tonight [​IMG] but if I go in there and the temp is good...I'll sleep....if not....well.......it will be a long night! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by